PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life of diesel in car?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clv101
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 8738

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Life of diesel in car? Reply with quote

As the lockdown continues, are car related issues are likely to occur?

There's the six MOT exemption, but is that only if you're actually in self isolation? Are garages still doing MOTs? Looks like insurance is still valid.

What's happening with services? Especially as car warranties require the services to be maintained? Are dealers and independent garages still doing services?

And fuel? I last filled (diesel) the car on 15th March, over two months ago, still two thirds full! Not anticipating any significant mileage for another couple of months - might some people hit problems for stale fuel?
_________________
PowerSwitch on Facebook | The Oil Drum | Twitter | Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6467
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of diesel in car? Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
- might some people hit problems for stale fuel?
I think not. Diesel is stable for at least a year. Gas or petrol on the other hand tends to evaporate during periods of high temperature and really should be used within six months of delivery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Fox



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 669
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cars, bikes and light vehicles, if the MOT was due to expire on or after 30th March, it gets an automatic 6 month extension (although you still need to ensure the vehicle is roadworthy, as normal). This extension should show up on the database around 7 days before the due date.

More details here.

With regard to fuel, with a diesel, ideally you'd want to drain it and keep the fuel in an appropriate container if it's being left for months, but that's not really practical.

Personally, I'd say that you're better off keeping the tank as full as possible, since the main problems are water (not so much from rain ingress, but from condensation forming in the 'empty' part of the tank) and oxygen. As VT suggests, it should 'keep' for at least a year, especially if you can park it where it's not in direct sunlight (it doesn't like the heat).

You can also get various diesel fuel stabilisers for about a tenner (add to tank before topping up) - Sta-Bil, Seafoam etc - for extra peace of mind, which will help clean the injectors/system too.

If it's running on biodiesel/SVO, personally I'd drain it and refill with a quality (non-supermarket crap) fuel... the difference in price is down to the additives (generally includes a stabiliser). I've found bio/SVO to be the worst for gumming up.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to get hold of a spare fuel filter (or two) while you still can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clv101
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 8738

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fox wrote:
If it's running on biodiesel/SVO, personally I'd drain it and refill with a quality (non-supermarket crap) fuel... the difference in price is down to the additives (generally includes a stabiliser). I've found bio/SVO to be the worst for gumming up.

I only use Shell V-Power diesel.
_________________
PowerSwitch on Facebook | The Oil Drum | Twitter | Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr. Fox



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 669
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might still want to add a stabiliser.

The other issue you will likely encounter with laying the car up for months is 'battery drain', as modern cars tend to use a few milliamps constantly (for anti-theft systems, etc), so either regular charging or maybe a little solar trickle charger that sits on the dashboard will avoid this (or maybe not, if parking it out of the sun!) - I'm sure you're well aware of how much lead-acid batteries don't like being left in a discharged state.

What I'd caution against is disconnecting the battery entirely, as many modern cars can freak out if this is done (e.g. certain VWs reset steering angle sensor calibration and throw up loads of esoteric warning lights/fault codes).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catweazle



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 2550
Location: Little England, over the hills

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we deserve a road tax and insurance refund.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 8068
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fox wrote:
You might still want to add a stabiliser.

The other issue you will likely encounter with laying the car up for months is 'battery drain', as modern cars tend to use a few milliamps constantly (for anti-theft systems, etc), so either regular charging or maybe a little solar trickle charger that sits on the dashboard will avoid this (or maybe not, if parking it out of the sun!) - I'm sure you're well aware of how much lead-acid batteries don't like being left in a discharged state.

What I'd caution against is disconnecting the battery entirely, as many modern cars can freak out if this is done (e.g. certain VWs reset steering angle sensor calibration and throw up loads of esoteric warning lights/fault codes).


Yes, agree. If a solar charger cant be used, then consider a basic mains operated car battery charger. Unless you are VERY CERTAIN that the battery charger is suitable for continuous unattended operation, then use a timeswitch to restrict operation to 10 or 15 minutes a day.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritDownUnder



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 772
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
I think we deserve a road tax and insurance refund.

One thing I have noticed is the reduction in mileage this year. Since last October I have only driven 3000 km. It also means that I get to skip the half yearly service thus saving more money. Sadly in Australia the tax and insurance remains the same.
_________________
G'Day cobber!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 12263
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that the government should give a rebate on road tax and insurers should do the same but it is probably a good idea to keep the cost of owning a car high so that when we come out of the crisis people might ask themselves whether it was worth keeping a car and get a bike instead. An e-bike is a fraction of the cost of an e-car and uses a fraction of the energy as well.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6467
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I was thinking that the government should give a rebate on road tax and insurers should do the same but it is probably a good idea to keep the cost of owning a car high so that when we come out of the crisis people might ask themselves whether it was worth keeping a car and get a bike instead. An e-bike is a fraction of the cost of an e-car and uses a fraction of the energy as well.
My insurance company sent me a $50 rebate check on my $2000 a year two car policy. Most generous of them I thought. On the other end I think now would be a good time to bump up the gas tax here by 25 cents a gallon to be split with small town governments to reduce their property (council) taxes and to rebuild infrastructure on a cash basis. With gas down to $1.90/ gallon few would feel the pain and when prices and driving go back up it would put a damper on demand and reduce the popularity of behemoth SUVs thereby reducing carbon emissions and fighting climate change.
I will not hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 12263
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:
I was thinking that the government should give a rebate on road tax and insurers should do the same but it is probably a good idea to keep the cost of owning a car high so that when we come out of the crisis people might ask themselves whether it was worth keeping a car and get a bike instead. An e-bike is a fraction of the cost of an e-car and uses a fraction of the energy as well.
My insurance company sent me a $50 rebate check on my $2000 a year two car policy. Most generous of them I thought. On the other end I think now would be a good time to bump up the gas tax here by 25 cents a gallon to be split with small town governments to reduce their property (council) taxes and to rebuild infrastructure on a cash basis. With gas down to $1.90/ gallon few would feel the pain and when prices and driving go back up it would put a damper on demand and reduce the popularity of behemoth SUVs thereby reducing carbon emissions and fighting climate change.
I will not hold my breath waiting for that to happen.


With Trump in power? No chance! The corporations would string him up for any thoughts of reducing oil and SUV sales.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned


Joined: 19 May 2019
Posts: 739
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
With gas down to $1.90/ gallon......


Price here just JUMPED to $1.60. I had been paying $1.35.

Lousy oil market manipulators, causing the price of oil to be greater than $0!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catweazle



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 2550
Location: Little England, over the hills

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
With gas down to $1.90/ gallon......


Price here just JUMPED to $1.60. I had been paying $1.35.

Lousy oil market manipulators, causing the price of oil to be greater than $0!!


We pay five times as much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned


Joined: 19 May 2019
Posts: 739
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
With gas down to $1.90/ gallon......


Price here just JUMPED to $1.60. I had been paying $1.35.

Lousy oil market manipulators, causing the price of oil to be greater than $0!!


We pay five times as much.


Ick.


Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6467
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
With gas down to $1.90/ gallon......


Price here just JUMPED to $1.60. I had been paying $1.35.

Lousy oil market manipulators, causing the price of oil to be greater than $0!!


We pay five times as much.

I know and have often wondered how HMG has squandered all the revenue raised by such high levies. One would think your highway infrastructure would be the pinnacle of perfection and efficiency with the vast sums available to accomplish that before any were skimmed off to balnace some other less worthy account. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group