PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big step forward for 2 major windfarms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
energy-village

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Big step forward for 2 major windfarms Reply with quote

In the words of Walter Scott "it's an ill wind blaws naebody gude".

Quote:
BRITAIN MOVES CLOSER TO GREEN ENERGY GOALS

LONDON (Reuters) - One of Europe's largest onshore wind farms has won Scottish planning approval and the world's largest offshore wind project now has two committed backers, boosting Britain's chances of reaching its ambitious green energy goals.

Scottish & Southern Energy has been granted planning permission to build a 456-megawatt wind farm in southern Scotland, while Denmark's Dong Energy and Germany's E.ON will buy Royal Dutch Shell's unwanted stake in the 1,000 MW London Array offshore wind scheme.

The future of the London Array plan to supply some 750,000 homes with electricity from 341 turbines in the outer Thames Estuary had been in doubt since Shell pulled out earlier this year, citing escalating costs.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL2103373820080721
Adam1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like good news. Very Happy
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!!

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell are going to be crying into their empty oil-wells soon, n'est-ce pas
Twisted Evil
skeptik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Big step forward for 2 major windfarms Reply with quote

Quote:
BRITAIN MOVES CLOSER TO GREEN ENERGY GOALS

LONDON (Reuters) - One of Europe's largest onshore wind farms has won Scottish planning approval and the world's largest offshore wind project now has two committed backers, boosting Britain's chances of reaching its ambitious green energy goals.

Amazing how quickly things start to move once the Prime Minister is on side.

Do you think Gordon has been on the phone to Scotland encouraging people to make the right decision,"National energy security... utmost importance to the economy..." and maybe on the phone to a few chums in the City dangling personal gongs in the next honours list in return for a few billion up front?

Or maybe not. I'm only speculating, but after his recent speech it wouldn't surprise me.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Gord visited any real Scots asking for favours they'd tell him to puss aff. It's now dusk here in York, which of course means that were he, a (sort of) Scot, to show up 'round here I could get out my bow and arrers and legally shoot him from our city walls Very Happy !
OrraLoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
I think if Gord visited any real Scots asking for favours they'd tell him to puss aff. It's now dusk here in York, which of course means that were he, a (sort of) Scot, to show up 'round here I could get out my bow and arrers and legally shoot him from our city walls Very Happy !

http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2405221.0.winds_of_change_just_the_start_of_the_renewables_revolution.php

According to a sceptic “The M74 is the way most people -- and most tourists -- drive into Scotland from England. Some are going to turn around and go home because all they see is turbine after turbine.”

This is the sort of wind farm that I can really support. Laughing
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrraLoon wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2405221.0.winds_of_change_just_the_start_of_the_renewables_revolution.php

According to a sceptic “The M74 is the way most people -- and most tourists -- drive into Scotland from England. Some are going to turn around and go home because all they see is turbine after turbine.”

This is the sort of wind farm that I can really support. Laughing

Laughing Laughing
There was a running joke about a sign facing South on the same road saying HASTE YE BACK....Home!

Oh and I have fond memories of THIS:

biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that'll be from the days when gas storage was thought to be a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: