PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEQs & Climate Camp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: TEQs & Climate Camp Reply with quote

Come to the TEQs and Zero Carbon and Contraction and Convergence and and and workshops at Climate Camp.

They've pitched ! Today ! :-

http://portal.campaigncc.org/node/2209

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Sharnal+Street+Kent&sll=51.443523,0.596008&sspn=0.08046,0.091667&ie=UTF8&ll=51.442421,0.57814&spn=0.080461,0.091667&z=13&output=html&zoom=0&zp=OOOOO

The workshops are on the Climate Camp website :-

http://www.climatecamp.org.uk/workshops

http://www.climatecamp.org.uk
jo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: TEQs and Zero Carbon Britain : Presentations at Climate Camp Reply with quote

Representatives of TEQs, Zero Carbon Britain and Aubrey Meyer of the GCI Contraction and Convergence framework have been giving workshops today at the Climate Camp.

There has been a lot of interest in the combined policy approach of C&C, TEQs and ZCB, and essential networking and education has been taking place to prepare ZCB for an upcoming campaign (details yet to be announced).
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jo, please learn to use the url= function.
Shaun Chamberlin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article in New Statesman about Climate Camp with very positive mentions for TEQs and (separately) David Fleming.
Adam1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She even got "a large problem like global warming does not necessarily need to be dealt with by a large solution; we can begin to tackle it with small solutions inside a large framework."

Well done Shaun and David for getting over this key TEQs idea to a member of the mainstream media, for whom TEQs appears to have been a new idea.

As she says, it is a shame that there weren't fewer police and more BERR officials and politicians (from all parties). Maybe they'd have learned a thing or two.
Keepz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam1 wrote:
it is a shame that there weren't fewer police and more BERR officials and politicians (from all parties). Maybe they'd have learned a thing or two.

Doubt it; I suspect each side would have left such a meeting entrenched in the view that there is no point talking to the other, when the other makes so little attempt to listen or to understand.

As to which side would be right to think so, can I suggest you have a look again at the "Why Kingsnorth" piece on the climate change camp website, and BERR's recent consultation documents on renewables and carbon capture and storage plus supporting documentation; and ask yourself which party seems to have gone to the most trouble to establish and understand the facts, carry out the analysis, seek others' views and take them into consideration.
Adam1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keepz wrote:
Adam1 wrote:
it is a shame that there weren't fewer police and more BERR officials and politicians (from all parties). Maybe they'd have learned a thing or two.

Doubt it; I suspect each side would have left such a meeting entrenched in the view that there is no point talking to the other, when the other makes so little attempt to listen or to understand.

As to which side would be right to think so, can I suggest you have a look again at the "Why Kingsnorth" piece on the climate change camp website, and BERR's recent consultation documents on renewables and carbon capture and storage plus supporting documentation; and ask yourself which party seems to have gone to the most trouble to establish and understand the facts, carry out the analysis, seek others' views and take them into consideration.

BERR's latest consultation exercise doesn't impress me one bit. The only thing that would convince me that they have any understanding of our problem would be physical, intelligent action on the ground on multiple fronts undertaken with an urgency that PO and CC both demand. The time for more consultations has passed.

Presenting government officials and politicians and Kingsnorth and climate campaigners as two intransigent groups unwilling to listen to the other is a silly, simplistic and inaccurate description.
Keepz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam1 wrote:
Presenting government officials and politicians and Kingsnorth and climate campaigners as two intransigent groups unwilling to listen to the other is a silly, simplistic and inaccurate description.

Well, but I don't think I did say that; what I meant to say, and I stand by this, is that that is how those two groups see each other.

In the case of the climate camp activists, they don't think the Government listens because the Government is not following to the letter their particular policy prescriptions. That, however, is not because the Government doesn't listen, it is because those policy prescriptions are ill considered, evidence free, minimally researched, economically illiterate, environmentally counterproductive, democratically rejected and socially illiberal. For God's sake they don't even understand the difference between electricity generation and electricity generating capacity.

In the case of the Government, they don't think the climate camp activists listen because they show no knowledge or understanding, despite this all having been extensively explained, of any of:

the billions (and rising) that the Government has already forced energy consumers to spend on renewable energy, through the Renewables Obligation;

the billions (and rising) that the Government has forced energy consumers to spend on carbon reduction, through the EU Emissions Trading Scheme;

the billions (and rising) that the Government has forced energy consumers to spend on energy efficiency improvements for other energy consumers, through the Supplier Obligation and its predecessors;

the fact that we shall soon have the biggest offshore wind fleet in the world;

the public funding devoted to research and development and deployment of alternative energy generating and energy saving technologies;

the fact that this is already the least oil-dependent country in the G7;

the work of the publicly financed Energy Saving Trust and the Carbon Trust;

the necessity of a Government elected to represent and work for everybody, taking into account everybody's interests, examining the evidence and considering the likely impacts, including possibnle unintended consequences, of any policy decisions before taking action

etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> TEQs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: