PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing new forum software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Testing new forum software Reply with quote

I'm in the process of setting up a new version of the forum software. For the moment it won't be replacing what you currently see, but there may be some minor glitches or performance hits while files are uploaded, databases duplicated etc in the background. Nothing significant, fingers crossed.

When I have it in a first cut, I'll invite a few people to have a bash at using it and give some feedback - though anything posted there will not be public and will end up deleted before a final transition.

If I could have a few volunteers to try it out, that'd be most welcome. We're still unpacking and cat-wrangling after our second house move in three months, so I'm not going to be turning this around in just a few days, but I'm hoping we'll be ready for a switch by or before the end of the month.

Last edited by jmb on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to volunteer.
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me (I won't be offended if not used though).
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happy to help out making sure it works for people with slow (dialup speed) connections.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
CountingDown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy to help - have some tech testing experience (only 8 hours a day)
Laughing
jmb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created a new Testing forum for this, visible to our testers, rather than handle comments via PM.
jmb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing new forum software Reply with quote

jmb wrote:
We're still unpacking and cat-wrangling after our second house move in three months [..] but I'm hoping we'll be ready for a switch by or before the end of the month.

Not going to be happening by this time, sorry. Eircom/BT have so far been unable to provide us with internet access at home, and I can't work on it from the office, so it's going to be a while longer.
jmb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still little news, I'm afraid - this truly is The Land That Internet Forgot.

I've done a bit of re-styling and minor additions, some of which visible, but that's about it. This weekend my attempts to improve the situation will probably involve clambering around on the roof, which will be fine fun.
Tess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need... Ignore... Function... Now!
Erik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tess wrote:

I think Powerswitch should at least give this function a try, though I'm not certain how well it will work if I choose to ignore someone and then other posters respond to comments from that very same "someone" and/or interact with them in the same thread. Confused My deliberately ignoring someone might make a thread incomprehensible (for me and others who have also chosen to ignore that person).

Perhaps a better alternative (and I don't know how feasible this is) would be to allow the creator of each thread to ban certain PS users from participating in that particular thread. Just a thought.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for an ignore function, at least have it there as an option people could use if they wanted to.

Personally I find it pretty easy to ignore the junk posts/posters so don't think I'd use it.
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
Tess wrote:

I think Powerswitch should at least give this function a try, though I'm not certain how well it will work if I choose to ignore someone and then other posters respond to comments from that very same "someone" and/or interact with them in the same thread. Confused My deliberately ignoring someone might make a thread incomprehensible (for me and others who have also chosen to ignore that person).

I've tried it on the new version with the person you might have in mind. I think it only works if the offender is being ignored, otherwise you're right. But maybe in time it would result in them being ignored, rather than argued with, so would work.

Erik wrote:
Perhaps a better alternative (and I don't know how feasible this is) would be to allow the creator of each thread to ban certain PS users from participating in that particular thread. Just a thought.

The software doesn't allow this, although someone could no doubt write an add-on to do it. It's one thing allowing readers to block a particular person, and another to allow the OP to decide who's allowed to take part in a discussion.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Tess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
Tess wrote:

I think Powerswitch should at least give this function a try, though I'm not certain how well it will work if I choose to ignore someone and then other posters respond to comments from that very same "someone" and/or interact with them in the same thread.

I don't mind seeing the responses the the 'ignored' person. And I don't mind the thread becoming less 'comprehensible' as a result of partial ignores. I just want to prevent myself seeing as many posts by people who aggravate me and reduce my enjoyment of the ps community.
IanG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to stop a members only group being set up.

Then those who miss behave can get kicked out of that group.

I'd actually prefer a closed group, there's stuff that I would like to talk about my companies forthcoming launch with a friendly audience.....
jmb
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmb wrote:
this truly is The Land That Internet Forgot

Things are looking a little more hopeful. After a few trips to the roof to discover I needed more parts, and a mysterious ladder disappearance (thankfully not while I was up there) I've finally Heath-Robinsoned a much better connection. Still on the not-world-class Vodafone mobile "broadband", and still a share of random disconnects, but enough to commit to getting a few things done.

One thought I had on the "I don't want to just ignore people because then their spew will go unchallenged" concern is the idea of a mod which shows next to a person's name how many people are ignoring them - or some kind of "board karma" count. This could give readers an idea of how the poster stands. I don't know if any such already exists but it doesn't sound too hard to construct.
(basedonpastperformancenotethatthevalueofpostsmaygodownaswellasup)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Website News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: