PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BNP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:
Jakell wrote:

I don't think of Griffin as a psycho, at least not in the usual sense. When speaking he seems fairly reasonable and not driven by anger.

You can't always tell what drives people by the way they present themselves. Anger is an emotion, not a way of behaving, and some people are very good at hiding their emotions, when it is expedient to do so.

Even though it is probably not a fair comparision I compare Griffin speaking (not his just his MSM appearances, but where he goes into depth) with Hitler, Mussolini, Mosely etc. There is no shouting, arm waving, strained voice, red face, sweat etc. He even seems to lack passion, but exudes conviction.

His lack of apparent anger may be due to that fact he feels that his time has come and that he can leave the pyrotechnics to others in his party. Calm and reasonable men came up with the final solution
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakell wrote:
Haggis wrote:
I'm sick of hearing about the BNP...

Looks like you've outed DominicJ

Seriously though, even though he starts off posing as a commentator, it carries on as a pro-BNP piece. I think he's sick of hearing opposition to them.

Really,because I'm sick of hearing about the BNP. It's gotten everybody away from Gordon and his current problems... Now if only Nick Griffin and his lads would start wearing jack boots and march to Whitehall, the tabloids would love it, unless something sexy happened on big brother... yawn
Jakell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haggis wrote:
Jakell wrote:
Haggis wrote:

Looks like you've outed DominicJ

Seriously though, even though he starts off posing as a commentator, it carries on as a pro-BNP piece. I think he's sick of hearing opposition to them.

Really,because I'm sick of hearing about the BNP. It's gotten everybody away from Gordon and his current problems... Now if only Nick Griffin and his lads would start wearing jack boots and march to Whitehall, the tabloids would love it, unless something sexy happened on big brother... yawn

I'm noticing a lot of 'boredom' with what used to be hot topics lately, we've got so used to being entertained.

Either the world outside is becoming flat and monochrome, or our brains are.

This could be the MSM's point of control. They turn down the entertainment factor and we get bored and go to sleep
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakell wrote:

This could be the MSM's point of control. They turn down the entertainment factor and we get bored and go to sleep

Well we won't be bored for too much longer.
Oil prices are rising even though the economy is in the tank.

Why?
Because Iran is going to be bombed.
Jakell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifthcolumn wrote:

Why?

Is this developing news? I haven't heard anything
Jakell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakell wrote:
fifthcolumn wrote:

Why?

Is this developing news? I haven't heard anything

A trawl has not come up with anything on bombing Iran, I would say that the likelihood of that has diminished somewhat since the Bush era.

So, back to the BNP and general complaints of ennui.:

Are the BNP boring ? Are their commentators boring? Or is it a case of general attention deficit syndrome, which seems more prevalent in these days of constant mass media?
This article was posited:

This article seemed interesting, but it turned out that he was claiming only that certain commentators on the BNP were annoying him. His personal view of the BNP seemed supportive.
So why would a BNP supporter (tacit or otherwise) push this 'boredom' meme. Clearly, IMO, to get them back under the radar. This would be an insult to the general public if it were not for the fact that it actually works.

disclaimer: I am not an entertainer and make no claims to dispel boredom
Keepz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakell wrote:
So why would a BNP supporter (tacit or otherwise) push this 'boredom' meme. Clearly, IMO, to get them back under the radar. This would be an insult to the general public if it were not for the fact that it actually works.

Here is a fairly typical complaint, extracted from feedback on today's Telegraph online:

Quote:
In 1997 i voted Labour. I have not voted for them since and have no intentions of voting for them, for as long as i live. The reason being, that nowhere in any Labour manifesto was the policy of unfeterred mass immigration advertised as policy. This influx has affected my community,my childrens education, the service i recieve from the NHS, and most of all it has hit my pocket.

What is boring is that this man's concerns and those of many like him (and there are many like him) never get a response, except that he's RACIST, or RASCIST, and wants to bring back Hitler and burn books and what's more he can't spell.

Are his concerns legitimate or are they not? If they are, what are the main parties' policies to address them? And if they are not, why not? Is it that it's not true that mass immigration has affected his community, his children's education etc (in which case, what are the statistics?) Or is it that there is some corresponding benefit to the nation as a whole which justifies the cost to his pocket, his children's education and the service he receives from the NHS (in which case, what is it?)

No, these questions will not get an answer. His concerns will not be listened to or discussed. Complete and lofty silence is what he will get; or - He's RACIST. He's RACIST. He's RACIST. RACIST. RACIST. RACIST. That's what's boring. And if that's all he gets by way of response to his clearly deeply held concerns, then how can he be blamed for concluding that OK, he's RACIST - and voting accordingly?
Jakell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keepz wrote:
Jakell wrote:

Here is a fairly typical complaint, extracted from feedback on today's Telegraph online:

Quote:
In 1997 i voted Labour. I have not voted for them since and have no intentions of voting for them, for as long as i live. The reason being, that nowhere in any Labour manifesto was the policy of unfeterred mass immigration advertised as policy. This influx has affected my community,my childrens education, the service i recieve from the NHS, and most of all it has hit my pocket.

What is boring is that this man's concerns and those of many like him (and there are many like him) never get a response, except that he's RACIST, or RASCIST, and wants to bring back Hitler and burn books and what's more he can't spell.

Are his concerns legitimate or are they not? If they are, what are the main parties' policies to address them? And if they are not, why not? Is it that it's not true that mass immigration has affected his community, his children's education etc (in which case, what are the statistics?) Or is it that there is some corresponding benefit to the nation as a whole which justifies the cost to his pocket, his children's education and the service he receives from the NHS (in which case, what is it?)

No, these questions will not get an answer. His concerns will not be listened to or discussed. Complete and lofty silence is what he will get; or - He's RACIST. He's RACIST. He's RACIST. RACIST. RACIST. RACIST. That's what's boring. And if that's all he gets by way of response to his clearly deeply held concerns, then how can he be blamed for concluding that OK, he's RACIST - and voting accordingly?

The man's concerns are legitimate, notwithstanding his assumption that all the problems are caused by immigration.

The issue has become very polarised. This is not surprising considering the white supremacist roots of the BNP, an opposition to them has an emotional subtext which can become very shrill. While I consider myself an opponent of them, I am not at all shrill.

I work and talk with people like the man you describe regularly, and to me fall into two groups: Some ARE racist, and are attracted to the BNP for that undercurrent, some are not (often a larger proportion) and are willing to discuss the issue, I try to point out that UKIP has a similar stance on immigration, but without the racial context..

Back to boredom. I think this polarisation of issues has some bearing on this, however, this polarisation is not inevitable, it is something we accept a bit too readily and often reinforced by the MSM (and shrill folks).
In conclusion. when media savvy folks (like the guy who wrote the article), and those who know how to sort the wheat from the chaff on the internet complain of 'boredom', they sound like whiny teenagers to me (or someone with an agenda)
DominicJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ludwig"]
Kieran wrote:

Besides, I seem to remember that in a recent survey on voting intentions at least two people expressed support for the BNP. That means at least one person in addition to DominicJ sees merit in the BNP. What do we do: try to find out who they were and ban them too?

Wasnt me
I was, and always have been, very vocal about the fact that I was not going to vote Tory in the Euro's, I was voting UKIP.
(Been busy, just trying to catch up, just thought I'd point that out.)
Kieran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/5769464/BNP-fails-to-find-allies-to-form-new-bloc-in-Europe.html

Very Happy
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bloc of xenophobic nationalist parties? Yeah, right, that was always going to be a bit of non-starter wasn't it?
Vortex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about EU blocs ... any party that can get 10% of the local vote is not to be ignored.
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% is a pretty arbitrary figure for ignoring a party, but if that is your criterion, then the BNP didn't get 10% in any of the UK regions so can be ignored (according to you).
Vortex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Andrew Brons was elected in the Yorkshire and the Humber regional constituency with 9.8% of the vote. Party chairman Nick Griffin was elected for the North West region, with 8 percent of the vote

Sorry, I was 0.2% out.

Anyway 5%, 10% or whatever .. these are non-trivial numbers.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodinistar wrote:
A bloc of xenophobic nationalist parties? Yeah, right, that was always going to be a bit of non-starter wasn't it?
Yeah MY nationalism's better than YOUR nationalism innit!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: