PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

skydivers and wind turbines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
windig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: skydivers and wind turbines Reply with quote

Came across an interesting story that a plan to build wind turbines on top of the ANZ building in Elizabeth Street, Hobart City, Australia was, in part, turned down because of concerns about the fear of skydivers.

Apparently, the skydivers 'could' have been blown off course and into the path of the turbines.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25847507-421,00.html

The upshot of this, I would argue, is that wherever a wind turbine is being sited, one extra factor will now need to be assessed fully. The impact on any local parachute clubs.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the train from Dublin yesterday, of course I wondered what would happen if the driver was momentarily distracted by the wind turbines at (Ballinveny?) Tipperary and so might have failed to see a cow on the line.
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that there is a pretty convincing argument to be made for a ban on combine harvesters, motorways, lorries, roads, open-air swimming pools and zoos within a 50 mile radius of anywhere where skydiving might be carried out - or in my case, pushed out!
cubes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say make the edges of blades razor sharp and let them take the risk! Very Happy
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodinistar wrote:
Seems to me that there is a pretty convincing argument to be made for a ban on combine harvesters, motorways, lorries, roads, open-air swimming pools and zoos within a 50 mile radius of anywhere where skydiving might be carried out - or in my case, pushed out!
Yup and helicopters: one actually killed a skydiver in Hampshire a couple of years back.
windig

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice between wind turbines and electricity pylons and their connected live cables I think most skydivers might choose wind turbines.
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the skydiving clubs are going to continue operation when they have to fly the planes they jump out of with electricity.

A bit ironic methinks.
frankd2689

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just ridiculous and show the depth of ignorance in the general public when it comes to skydiving.
I heaved my little body out of aircraft for 30 years (3500 jumps) and believe me, this is just plain silly. Even first time skydivers are nowadays using extremely controllable parachutes and would be expected to land in a specific field, usually even on first jump within 10 metres of a specified target.
More likely is the possibility of leaving the aircraft over the wrong place and finding yourself over a built up area, but having been in the situation a few times, it's astonishing how many clear areas there are to land in even in a built up area.
It's NIMBYism gone mad. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: