PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biofuels, are they really an energy source ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Biofuels, are they really an energy source ? Reply with quote

I read on another forum that the Production of Bio-fuel as a source of energy is virtually impossible because it take one barrel of oil to produce one barrel of bio-fuel, anyone know any different?
fishertrop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it very much depends on the processes involved.

Organically grown crops and (say) wind-powered machinary to process them could produce bio-fuel with zero crude usage.

I remain unconvinced that fuels such as bio-diesel really make sense, except in very limited terms - giving over huge tracts of land to grow crops just to be burned to move people/things around seems like a waste.

In the Uk, the land should be used overwhelmingly to produce edible food (in my view) - sure we need SOME essential transport and sure some of this will have to be diesel powered for quite some time, but I would say that if we use the tail-end of North Sea production to power tractors and food delivery trucks that this will suffice until we sort ourselves out.

Maybe in France or the USA it actually makes sense to grow crops for biofuels - you can at least trade the fuels for soemthing else you need - but I'm not convinced this works for the UK.

All talk of bio-fuel use in the UK strikes me as trying to prop up the current systems rather than accept that all oil-powered personal transport and most oil-powered road-freight has got to END Shocked if we are to have a real future.

I'm a big fan of developing skills tho, and I strongly believe the Uk should have research plants for all viable technologies (such coal-liquids, pebble-bed, geo-thermal etc) even if we don't ever put them into mass production.
isenhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that that is the case if you are going to use oil to transport biofuels around or make the platic etc. but then you can?t expect an immediate jump to an oil free world.

Smile

Technocracy:
http://en.technocracynet.eu

http://www.lulu.com/technocracy

http://www.technocracy.tk/
fishertrop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isenhand wrote:
...but then you can?t expect an immediate jump to an oil free world.
Smile

I totally agree - thats what the tail-end of North Sea production is for!

Obv I'm only talking about the Uk not the world....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: