PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wind turbines on new carbon neutral schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Wind turbines on new carbon neutral schools Reply with quote

Quote:
The Telegraph - 28/01/10

Wind turbines and solar panels will be popping up on schools across the country as part of a Government drive to educate children about climate change

Article continues ...
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this explains the 3 wind turbines that appeared beside a new school near us last year. Annoyingly, since Nov/Dec at least they don't seem to have been turning (which reminds me to try to find out who to ask why not),

Peter.
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it logical to build schools in places sheltered from the wind, so the kids can spend as much time outdoors as possible, and to reduce heating costs? In fact, just the sort of place where wind turbines are no good!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
Isn't it logical to build schools in places sheltered from the wind, so the kids can spend as much time outdoors as possible, and to reduce heating costs? In fact, just the sort of place where wind turbines are no good!

I think that it's logical to build schools where the children are. Essentially, this is a new secondary school to serve the new communities (built and to be built) of the centre of eastern Milton Keynes. There's not much difference in any of the places they could have put the school. Though it does surprise me how windy certain parts of the area are,

Peter.
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the schools in the local authority I work for has a demonstration wind turbine. It doesn't work.

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
goslow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they mean instead mini turbines, our primary school has one of those combined with a small PV. It probably generates enough to power a lightbulb somewhere - if its plugged in!
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter wrote:
I think that it's logical to build schools where the children are. Essentially, this is a new secondary school to serve the new communities (built and to be built) of the centre of eastern Milton Keynes. There's not much difference in any of the places they could have put the school. Though it does surprise me how windy certain parts of the area are,

Peter.

So it's surrounded by buildings, and potentially in lots of turbulence as I understand it! I hope they site them to work, not just to be a bit of look good greenwash, that puts everyone off the idea of renewables because they don't work very well.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
So it's surrounded by buildings, and potentially in lots of turbulence as I understand it! I hope they site them to work, not just to be a bit of look good greenwash, that puts everyone off the idea of renewables because they don't work very well.

No, they're in a big field (10 hectares I think I read somewhere this morning) and most of the buildings in the area are low anyway,

Peter.
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Hunt wrote:
One of the schools in the local authority I work for has a demonstration wind turbine. It doesn't work.

Well, apparently:

Quote:

The reason they have not been turning is because the manufacturer has identified a technical issue with the wind turbines and requested that they remain inactive until they have addressed the issue.

Peter.
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any event, if they are wasting tax money I think this is as good an idea as any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: