PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woodfuel increasing in popularity
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Woodfuel increasing in popularity Reply with quote

Quote:
Green Building Press - 13/02/10

More people are turning to biomass as fuel according to a new green energy survey from Forestry Commission England. The Forestry Commission is supporting the use of biomass through its woodfuel strategy, which aims to develop this growing market. The survey has identified almost 2,000 biomass heat boilers in England - an increase of 455 from 2008. The Yorkshire and Humber region has the most biomass heat boilers in England, with 290 installations out of the 1960 identified.

Article continues ...
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this page out, and note how much wood we import compared to how much we produce...
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/forstats2011.nsf/LUContents/35053FAF3CAE1BB5802573550054ABD7

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon people are going to get a shock over the next few yrs as all the new biomass power plants come online.

I can't see how it won't cause a huge increase in firewood/biomass prices for domestic home users.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich" -Napoleon Bonaparte
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Plant trees. Lots of them. Now. Come on, don't hang about... Smile
mobbsey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Yup. Plant trees. Lots of them.

Or just ignore the lengthy pre-payment plan option and go "straight to the checkout" Wink Crying or Very sad
emordnilap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobbsey wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:
Yup. Plant trees. Lots of them.

Or just ignore the lengthy pre-payment plan option and go "straight to the checkout" Wink Crying or Very sad

And it's not even Easter.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
robinjack007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think individuals are going to get a impact over the next few yrs as all the new biomass energy vegetation come on the internet.
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepepler wrote:
Check this page out, and note how much wood we import compared to how much we produce...
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/forstats2011.nsf/LUContents/35053FAF3CAE1BB5802573550054ABD7
I've been toying with setting up a wood fuel business for a few months.

Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper for me to import seasoned, split and logged hardwood ash in 2-cubic-meter crates all the way from Lithuania, delivered to my home town on a 40 footer than it is to buy softwood in the stand (growing in the ground. so I would have to fell it, process it, season it and lead it all the way back home) from the UK!

Mind you, you've got to buy £10,000 of logs at a time to get those prices.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(wonders if we could get a syndicate together on this board...)
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:

Believe it or not, it is actually cheaper for me to import seasoned, split and logged hardwood ash in 2-cubic-meter crates all the way from Lithuania, delivered to my home town on a 40 footer than it is to buy softwood in the stand (growing in the ground. so I would have to fell it, process it, season it and lead it all the way back home) from the UK!

Hang on. You get 30 tonnes in a 40 footer? For £10k? That's £333 per tonne. That's not cheap.
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
stevecook172001 wrote:

Hang on. You get 30 tonnes in a 40 footer? For £10k? That's £333 per tonne. That's not cheap.
no no

That's several 40 footers for 10k. The logs work out at about 30 quid per cubic-yard (loose) which compares favorably to the typical retail price per cubic yard of seasoned ash logs in the UK of around seventy to a hundred quid per cubic yard (loose). The logs are packed tight into 2-cubic-metre crates. When they are un-packed, they come out at 3 cubic-meters per-crate (loose). So, each crate really carries 3 cubic meters of retail-able seasoned ash logs.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I reckon people are going to get a shock over the next few yrs as all the new biomass power plants come online.

I can't see how it won't cause a huge increase in firewood/biomass prices for domestic home users.

People need to look at rocket mass heaters if they are using wood for heating. If people are using wood to run a wet central heating system, I think they will be stuffed by the prices in future. This whole house heating will have to stop, it's unnecessarily wasteful and is just an example of vanity.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:

Agree that both individuals and TPTB should be planting trees.
Apart from firewood, timber framed buildings seem to be increasing in popularity.
There is a huge amount of land owned by government, local authorities and utilites that could be planted with trees.
Whilst I would not suggest turning public parks into intensive tree plantations, most could have some more trees planted without reducing the enjoyment of those who use them.
And what about motorway verges ?
Golf courses could reasonably plant a little more tree cover without preventing their intended use.
Consider the vast areas designated as national parks, modest increases in tree cover would be an awfull lot of trees.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I calculated that we need to plant about 25 trees a year plus trees for fuel to 'offset' the CO2 and equivalent emissions we're responsible for. And we are extremely low emitters, compared to the Irish average.

I might be out in the calculation, but not that far out. It's close enough to give a sense of proportion.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
ujoni08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:

Excellent advice, for a number of important reasons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: