PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you still wanna use a gas boiler....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: If you still wanna use a gas boiler.... Reply with quote

SEDBUK - the boiler efficiency database:

http://www.sedbuk.com/

Also this Guardian article:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/consumerissues/story/0,14150,1450345,00.html

Quote:
But he says you must pick your condensing boiler carefully, and your plumber. "They are more sensitive and need more careful installation. That's why customers need to find a plumber who is experienced, and a reliable make." Ask plumbers if they have attended more than just the one-day City & Guilds course. If not, wave goodbye, he says.

Mr Cooper says his firm has avoided problems by limiting their list of recommended suppliers. His maintenance offshoot, which looks after 10,000 domestic boilers, limits itself to just one supplier - the German firm Worcester Bosch. He says he is considering including another German firm, Vaillant, on his list. "We are looking at it at the moment. I have to say the German brands are ahead of the British machines by a mile."
A more likely problem for the homeowner comes into effect next year when anyone selling a house will need to provide documentation for a boiler installed after this wekend. It is part of the Seller's Pack homeowners need to give prospective buyers from April 2006 showing the energy efficiency of their property. Log books for boilers will become as important as they are for cars.

Review of a Worcester 24 CDi : http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/archive-house-garden/british-gas-worcester-cdi-series-boiler/432968/
Bozzio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEDBUK can all be ignored now. Unless you have good reason and can satisfy Building Regulation exceptions you will have to have an 'A' rated boiler installed - and that will be a condensing boiler. Oil boilers do not have to be 'A' rated until next year but they are much more efficient anyway.

The article is an interesting one - well to me it is!

Here's the deal with condensing technology.

Choose a model with a stainless steel heat exchanger, preferably German (they are ahead of their European counterparts). Aluminium heat exchangers rot under the conditions the boilers work. I choose Viessmann wherever I can as they have been building condensing boilers for decades and guarantee the heat exchanger for 10 years! http://www.viessmann.co.uk/ They also sell solar panels, heat pumps and wood chip boilers.

I avoid Wocester Bosch because they just don't feel good - hard to decsribe why, just my attitude. Big companies like British Gas love them because Bosch is able to give such massive discounts to bulk buyers. Bristish Gas buy a Worcester boiler for ?200 and sell it for ?1500 - or so I've heard. Worcester Bosch uses aluminium for internal parts. The Bosch group also likes to exploit 3rd world markets and has its fingers in the arms trade according to my 'Good Shopping Guide' so 2 good reasons to avoid them.

Condensing boilers need to be positioned carefully. The flue will produce a plume of highly visible (sometimes alarmingly so) air which looks like steam but is only 40/50 degress C so not too dangerous. It can annoy you and the neighbours. The boiler will also produce condensate, quite a lot, which needs to run to a drain in plastic pipe. This can add to the cost of installation, especailly if the drain or waste is located far away. It is the acid content of the condensate which rots aluminium heat exchangers.

All new gas and oil boilers must be registered at the time of installation with CORGI or OFTEC (for oil) under the new rules as of April 1st 2005. If you don't have the log book filled in and you don't receive a certificate of compliance from either CORGI or OFTEC as requested for by the installer then your boiler will not comply with regs. Beware when selling your house if this is the case and your boiler was installed after March 2005.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: