PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maybe it's time for...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postie... I don't think anyone is grumbling about people like you that come here to chat...

We have lately had a BIG problem with spammers who do nothing but start new threads. Also a couple of folk who have appeared and told us nothing of themselves but asked some sort of question with out explaining why they are asking.... we suspected a class of students were all sent out ......!

So the forum is a bit cautious right now because of this. Genuine newbies are as always very welcome.

You appear genuine Smile So WELCOME! Cool

Edit to add - You won't see the posts I'm referring to as a kind mod or admin has been in here and swept them all away.... Wink Hours of work I gather as the problem was huge. But now you can see our lovely friendly clean forum for what it is. ENJOY
postie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keela wrote:
Postie... I don't think anyone is grumbling about people like you that come here to chat...

Good to hear.. Very Happy

I get plagued with spammers on my site, but most of them get caught in spam-traps before being able to post. But spam-traps only work on 90% of the automated stuff. Human spammers are few and far between but they're nearly impossible to block. however, the newly updated version of phpbb3 allows for a usergroup called "newly registered users".. with limited posting privileges (no links/pics, topic starting etc until a set amount of posts have been reached) which deters spammers.
Eternal Sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Postie, and welcome. Very Happy

It's been a strange couple of weeks on ths forum.... people aren't always as they seem. Rolling Eyes

There were suddenly a load of new members asking very simple questions, plus loads of spammers.

I'd be the first to say we need some new blood around here. What is your site? I like your signature btw... Laughing

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eternal Sunshine wrote:
I like your signature btw... Laughing

There are still trees and fish alive, and I already know X Factor is rubbish. I was forced to watch it once Laughing.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Eternal Sunshine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking postie to mean us collectively. I've watched it a couple of times by mistake in my break at work.... Shocked

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, postie is very welcome. I've liked his/her posts so far; there's also ming, a.stitch.in.time, Pepperman, PorcelainSugar, the coalthief, AutomaticEarth, Seor, robinhood as well as several others who I'm glad have piped up.

Come on lads, it's over to you.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: