PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock up on bedsheets, bathtowels etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12595
Location: York

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
...blankets...
I do not think that these are as thick and heavy as in years gone by...
That's 'cause we're not fighting the Cold War any more Very Happy
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
adam2 wrote:
...blankets...
I do not think that these are as thick and heavy as in years gone by...
That's 'cause we're not fighting the Cold War any more Very Happy


Smile

More seriously though, I have just looked at one of the government surplus blankets purchased in about 1980 and noted that they are larger, thicker and heavier than the current ones.
Some of the blankets purchased in 1980 are now worn out, but I have several still unused.

I would still recomend the ebay ones as being better value than a high street store.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12595
Location: York

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite scary isn't it? I mean, I disagree with (most of) what the Forces get up to these days, but they still deserve decent equipment ffs.

Unless HMG are flogging off the lighter ones because they're keeping the full-weight ones. It can get pretty damn cool up mountains in Pakistan and the like I suppose.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ebay supplier may be of interest.
N.O.S. sheets, all cotton, £45 for a pack of ten.
These are said to be old government stocks, and are therefore probably of better quality than cheap modern production.
Certainly larger in size, note 108 inches long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bed-Sheets-x-10-Army-Surplus-/272759458386?hash=item3f81bb0a52:g:NLcAAOSw-RRXC2zH

I have no connection with the seller. They also have packs of ten pillowcases, and cellular cotton blankets. These blankets are useful to keep to hand in case of illness as they may be disinfected by boiling.

BTW, am I the only person to have noticed that whilst the population has on average got taller, that sheets have got shorter ?
108 inches long used to be the standard until perhaps 1950
Then 100 inches up to the 1970s
And now 90 inches is the norm.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12595
Location: York

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been finding a lot of nice bedsheets etc in charity shops recently.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
I've been finding a lot of nice bedsheets etc in charity shops recently.


I have found the odd bargain thus, but IME, bedsheets for sale in charity shops tend to be either small or polyester, or both.

For bargain priced new linens it is worth looking at firms that supply hotels, most true hotel suppliers claim to be trade only but will supply the public subject to a minimum order which can be substantial.
Be aware that many vendors of cheap linens claim the goods to be "hotel quality"

For decent second hand linens, I have previously recommended an outlet in London, not certain if they still going though.
Bargains can also be found on fleabay.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 3720

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some of the ebay surplus sheets. Very high quality. They will just need a lot of ironing after washing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 14231
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
I bought some of the ebay surplus sheets. Very high quality. They will just need a lot of ironing after washing.


Ironing bedsheets! Some people have a lot of spare time. Laughing

If they're flannel sheets they don't need ironing but it sounds like they might be linen.

In which case, if I really wanted to iron them, I'd put them on the bed and iron them there. Wink
_________________
"Buddhists say we come back as animals and they refer to them as lesser beings. Well, animals aren’t lesser beings, they’re just like us. So I say fụck the Buddhists" - Bjork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming that the sheets are the ones that I linked to a few posts back, then they are certainly 100% cotton, not linen.
I have not purchased any of them, but a friend did buy them for teenagers who complained that their existing bedding was too small and also made of "polyester or other manky fake stuff"

I would not bother to iron sheets except PERHAPS for visitors.

The need for ironing may be reduced by selecting the "low speed spin" option on the washing machine. This reduces creasing, though the laundry then takes longer to line dry.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12595
Location: York

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging them out on a line to dry helps.

Ironing is for weddings, funerals and job interviews. Last time I ironed owt it was fils' gi for his aikido grading.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 14231
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Ironing is for weddings, funerals and job interviews.


As for funerals over here, even then, only if you're related to the deceased and sometimes not even then. Nobody gives a toss how you appear apparel-wise, respects and sympathy are what matters. Death is treated, errmm, differently in Ireland; much more relaxed and open.
_________________
"Buddhists say we come back as animals and they refer to them as lesser beings. Well, animals aren’t lesser beings, they’re just like us. So I say fụck the Buddhists" - Bjork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I again recommend this ebay seller of NOS government surplus cotton sheets.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bed-Sheets-x-10-Army-Surplus-/282690326205?

£45 for a pack of ten sheets including delivery, this is a relisting by the same seller to whom I linked a few months ago.
These are much thicker and therefore presumably stronger and more durable than cheap modern production.
Full old fashioned length of 108 inches.

I have not purchased any of these myself as they would be a bit narrow for my girth.
However several friends or neighbours have purchased these for kids beds and recommend them. Plain white never goes out of fashion, unlike the various novelty printed sheets aimed at children.
All cotton is IMHO much more comfortable than poly-anything.
(kids are often happy with any old polyester rubbish, until they sleepover somewhere with all cotton sheets, which they then expect at home)
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for double sheets in the full traditional length of about 108 inches and 100% cotton, it is worth a thorough search on fleabay.

The vast majority of the sheets for sale will be cheap modern rubbish only 90 inches long and containing polyester or other fake stuff.

However vintage but unused sheets, in all cotton and the full old fashioned length, do turn up and are worth buying for stock.

It is worth use of the advanced search feature. Suggested search terms are "vintage 100 cotton sheets" but excluding "poly polyester small single"

I would avoid used sheets unless remarkably cheap, not for hygiene concerns, they can after all be boiled, but because they might be nearly worn out and have little useful life left.

It is also worth a fleabay search for decent traditional wool blankets.
Simply searching for "wool blanket" will produce thousands of results, mostly cheap modern tat "throws" that are very small and not even wool.
A better search term is "Witney wool blanket" that tends to exclude all cheap modern tat and also excludes the multitude of small blankets for infants.
Most results will be for used blankets, buyer beware for both hygiene reasons and being worn out.
The odd unused blanket, still in the suppliers packaging, even if decades old, can be found.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 6729
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to buy some traditional 100% wool blankets, this ebay outlet may be of interest.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Bedding4u-01?_pgn=3

They have proper full sized wool blankets, at favourable prices. New and unused but described as seconds as marked with oil spots or marks from machinery.
A friend purchased several for children's beds and recommends them.

I have no connection with the seller.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group