PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bristol palm oil burner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Bristol palm oil burner Reply with quote

What's all this about?

Quote:
Dear Friends,

As you may be aware from previous alerts, agrofuel company W4B continue to pursue their plans for a 50 MW vegetable oil power station in Bristol. They want to burn palm oil, mainly from South-east Asia. This one power station alone would immediately double the UK’s use of palm oil for bioenergy. In February this year, Bristol City Council's Planning Committee voted to reject their planning application, mainly due to concerns about the wider impacts of the biofuels which the company would be burning. W4B appealed against the decision. At the public inquiry in mid-August, the Planning Inspector ruled that the Council's main reasons for originally rejecting the application could not be discussed! The Planning Inspectorate insists that the impacts of biofuel production are not a planning matter.
The final decision on the Appeal will now be made by the Secretary of State, Eric Pickles. All of the written evidence as to why palm oil burning is unsustainable and bad for climate, people and environment which groups and Bristol City Council had submitted will still go to him and he could still take it into account and refuse the Appeal on those grounds.
Please go to

http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/w4bjul2010.php

and write to Mr Pickles today to ask him to look at all the evidence and to refuse the appeal [note that this is a new alert, despite the url]. Please also send a copy of your letter to your MP and ask him or her to raise your concerns with the Secretary of State, too. To find out who your MP is and to write to him or her, please go to www.theyworkforyou.com .

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Almuth Ernsting,
biofuelwatch@ymail.com

goslow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, planning does not deal with the desirability or commercial viability of any industrial process. Just the impact on local landscape, pollution, noise, traffic etc.

there is something about sustainability in planning guidelines, but very vaguely so, and so very easy to argue either way I suspect
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought PPS1 (if still current) would be enough to knock this on the head, no?
biomasstft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bristol palm oil burner Reply with quote

Is this about palm oil or about any type of oil or in other words about acting to stop a bio oil based power plant? I'm aware of the many unsustainable claims reg palm oil (deforestation, displacement of gorillas in ghana, etc) all of which I'm 100% in agreement with. Although I'm also aware of the various attempts of many private sector and research bodies in order to find sustainable alternatives to palm oil and other food competitive crops and with that I'm also 100% in favour with. I'm personally not pro palm oil and in my opinion Bristol plant should rethink its fuel strategy but I'm all in favour of a step changed approach towards green biofuel options be it liquid or solid. Renewables are much more than wind, solar, tidal, wave, hydro and certainly unless we also think of a process to green the baseload portion of the energy supply system or we will all be facing a reverse in development and progress and subject to if the wind blows or the sun shines or if it rains. I could not understand if there would be someone that would really desire that, even if that someone was a romanticist...

biffvernon wrote:
What's all this about?

Quote:
Dear Friends,

As you may be aware from previous alerts, agrofuel company W4B continue to pursue their plans for a 50 MW vegetable oil power station in Bristol. They want to burn palm oil, mainly from South-east Asia. This one power station alone would immediately double the UK’s use of palm oil for bioenergy. In February this year, Bristol City Council's Planning Committee voted to reject their planning application, mainly due to concerns about the wider impacts of the biofuels which the company would be burning. W4B appealed against the decision. At the public inquiry in mid-August, the Planning Inspector ruled that the Council's main reasons for originally rejecting the application could not be discussed! The Planning Inspectorate insists that the impacts of biofuel production are not a planning matter.
The final decision on the Appeal will now be made by the Secretary of State, Eric Pickles. All of the written evidence as to why palm oil burning is unsustainable and bad for climate, people and environment which groups and Bristol City Council had submitted will still go to him and he could still take it into account and refuse the Appeal on those grounds.
Please go to

http://www.biofuelwatch.org.uk/w4bjul2010.php

and write to Mr Pickles today to ask him to look at all the evidence and to refuse the appeal [note that this is a new alert, despite the url]. Please also send a copy of your letter to your MP and ask him or her to raise your concerns with the Secretary of State, too. To find out who your MP is and to write to him or her, please go to www.theyworkforyou.com .

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Almuth Ernsting,
biofuelwatch@ymail.com
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bristol palm oil burner Reply with quote

biomasstft wrote:
we will all be facing a reverse in development and progress and subject to if the wind blows or the sun shines or if it rains. I could not understand if there would be someone that would really desire that, even if that someone was a romanticist...

I don't think it's a question of wanting to. We live on a finite planet, and the energy produced from oil has allowed us to do many things that we couldn't have done without it. As the supply of oil declines, we don't have anything that can replace it all. We have to use the land we've got available to grow food, as well as energy crops and all the other materials (such as timber) that we need. If there's not enough land to do everything, we have to do less. We can become more efficient, and do a lot more with less, but there are limits.

It also depends on what you mean by development and progress. If you mean having more and more "stuff" and being able to fly to distant parts of the planet, we will have to make do with less. We'll still have the knowledge and technology to do lots of clever stuff though. Development and progress could also be more people centred, so we develop ourselves, and become more happy and contented. There's a lot of work to do to get there!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: