PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Shale Gas Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: UK Shale Gas Report Reply with quote

The Tindall Centre has just published this report on Shale Gas extraction in the UK, commissioned by the Co-Op.

http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/sites/default/files/coop_shale_gas_report_final_200111.pdf

Generally not in favour, at least until the US EPA has reported on pollution of water supplies by fracking.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
cubes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"surprise" - co-op sponsored report comes out against, due to their 'ethical' stance no doubt.

I'm not saying that shale gas is good btw, just that the report is probably not 100% unbias.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
"surprise" - co-op sponsored report comes out against, due to their 'ethical' stance no doubt.

I'm not saying that shale gas is good btw, just that the report is probably not 100% unbias.

Indeed, Co-Op report on oil, cant imagine thats ever going to go any other way.
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Co-op is one of the few large businesses in the UK that has anything approaching ethical policies that don't stink of greenwash. That the report does not support shale gas extraction is not a bad thing, would you rather go along with BP or similar? Yeah, right, they are totally trustworthy and have proved repeatedly that they deserve trust and respect.
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the US investigations lead to the conclusion that pollution of water suppliers are avoidable(or we find a way of avoiding it), would the pursuit of shale gas be favourable?

Got to be better than burning coal?

Even if we don't burn it and use it for a long term supply of feedstock for fertiliser - it got to be a resource worth having?

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that if a way were found of guaranteeing there wouldn't be contamination of water supplies, I simply wouldn't trust a company to use it. All the time. Even when no-one's looking.
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
My problem is that if a way were found of guaranteeing there wouldn't be contamination of water supplies, I simply wouldn't trust a company to use it. All the time. Even when no-one's looking.

We already entrust allsorts of companies to adhere to allsorts of rules/procedures/processes to ensure they don't pollute water supplies -so why not this?

If we don't trust companies to stick to rules/regulations (along with monitoring etc) we won't be allowing much activity at all - let alone produce energy! Smile

I think there is far more risk from not exploiting such sources and the subsequent energy/feedstock shortages causing economic societal and political mayhem!! Shocked

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
RGR
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: UK Shale Gas Report Reply with quote

[quote="kenneal"]

Last edited by RGR on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
cubes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatyourveg wrote:
The Co-op is one of the few large businesses in the UK that has anything approaching ethical policies that don't stink of greenwash. That the report does not support shale gas extraction is not a bad thing, would you rather go along with BP or similar? Yeah, right, they are totally trustworthy and have proved repeatedly that they deserve trust and respect.

Co-op - ethical HAHAHAHA

If all parts of their business don't act in ethical ways then THEY ARE NOT ETHICAL. We're not just talking 'green'. Let's take their banking arm, co-op bank & smile. Do they treat their customers any more ethically than other banks? No. I'm sure it's repeated over the rest of their businesses too.

Just because they make (what are in their opinion) ethical investments and only sell free-range meat & eggs doesn't make the whole company ethical and I don't believe they can be referred to as such.
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
eatyourveg wrote:

Co-op - ethical HAHAHAHA

If all parts of their business don't act in ethical ways then THEY ARE NOT ETHICAL. We're not just talking 'green'. Let's take their banking arm, co-op bank & smile. Do they treat their customers any more ethically than other banks? No. I'm sure it's repeated over the rest of their businesses too.

Just because they make (what are in their opinion) ethical investments and only sell free-range meat & eggs doesn't make the whole company ethical and I don't believe they can be referred to as such.

I said 'approaching ethical'.

To expect perfection is being optimistic, but, and this is an important point, as a co-operative it is not bound by the same rules as a corporation for instance, which MUST act physcopathically in its own interests, and not for the general good.

Sounds like you got twanged for 20 or whatever for being 3p overdrawn for 20 minutes, which is definitely not ethical. It's robbery. I am not defending such actions.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
eatyourveg wrote:

Co-op - ethical HAHAHAHA

Gosh. Wrong side of bed and all that. Something people - including me - are constantly chided with when having a moan is, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I think this is a good place to say it.

If you feel you must use banks, the Co-op is a better choice than most others. Quit complaining - do something about their shortcomings instead.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
Let's take their banking arm, co-op bank & smile. Do they treat their customers any more ethically than other banks? No.
I've banked with Smile since it was launched. I've no complaints. What's not to like?
cubes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bank with smile. What I'm saying is, that unless they try and instill ethical values throughout their whole business, not just shouting it out when it benefits them, they can't call themselves ethical in my opinion.

Look at their interest rates on savings? 0.25% or 0.12% if you're haven't got a smile current account - those rates are pathetic even in the current market which is why my savings are elsewhere.

I could say that you're implying the big high street banks are ethical in their treatment of their customers - but I doubt you mean that.

Ok, perfection is often bad, but in this case they are far from it, in my opinion nowhere near (although your opinion may vary). The question is, are they being ethical enough throughout their business? The answer is a resounding no.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
cubes wrote:
Let's take their banking arm, co-op bank & smile. Do they treat their customers any more ethically than other banks? No.
I've banked with Smile since it was launched. I've no complaints. What's not to like?

I've banked with Lloyds for a decade, I've got no complaints.
I should be in the Buiness Book of Records for that!
RGR
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: UK Shale Gas Report Reply with quote

[quote="kenneal"]

Last edited by RGR on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Hydrocarbons All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: