PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PowerSwitch going downhill - Stage 4/5 collapse?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:

Speaking personally, it is politics and economics that interest me. While I support the green movement in principle, I can't pretend that self-sufficient living has much interest for, or appeal to, me. I understand I may have to develop an interest in it, but to be honest it'll be an uphill struggle.

I think I've just understood why you are even more pessimistic than I am.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Ludwig wrote:

Speaking personally, it is politics and economics that interest me. While I support the green movement in principle, I can't pretend that self-sufficient living has much interest for, or appeal to, me. I understand I may have to develop an interest in it, but to be honest it'll be an uphill struggle.

Indeed, getting stuck in to physical activity is a great way to banish pessimism. This weekend I took an 'Activity' 1st aid course, helped plant a load of trees and erected a 50m deer proof fence.
caspian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Indeed, getting stuck in to physical activity is a great way to banish pessimism.

Very Happy I tend to find that not to be the case. The mere thought of doing strenuous exhausting work (probably in the rain) makes me want to go back to bed.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Ludwig wrote:

Indeed, getting stuck in to physical activity is a great way to banish pessimism. This weekend I took an 'Activity' 1st aid course, helped plant a load of trees and erected a 50m deer proof fence.

I didn't actually mean that, although it is true that being outdoors and doing stuff tends to make one feel better. I meant that if your primary interest is politics and economics and you aren't so interested in the other aspects of this whole situation then you are likely to end up with a VERY miserable outlook. There's simply nothing you can do about the political and economic situation apart from point out that our political and economic systems are both totally insane. I don't think they can be changed without a catastrophic collapse occuring first so you end up concluding that the faster the day of reckoning comes, the better.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
Yeah, the forum is a lot less practical (though admittedly most of what you need to know is here somewhere already) these days - and far more "technology/GMOs/nuclear/finance/shale/tar/more-of-what-got-us-into-this-mess-will-save-us" blinkeredness.

But these are legitimate topics, surely?

Oh, they are, not disputing that. But 'power' and 'switch' I take to mean getting away from that stuff, discussing the practicalities of getting from here to there, for instance, rather than sparring pointlessly with right-wing agenda-mongers.

I try to ignore posts that advocate adoration of that stuff anyway, so it's academic. Laughing
Janco2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I always ignore the posts that you are referring to.
I'm usually far too busy outside to spend much time looking for what is going on in the world.
Here I can find out most of what I want and need to know.

Thanks to everyone (well most posters). Very Happy Very Happy
Ludwig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Ludwig wrote:

I didn't actually mean that, although it is true that being outdoors and doing stuff tends to make one feel better. I meant that if your primary interest is politics and economics and you aren't so interested in the other aspects of this whole situation then you are likely to end up with a VERY miserable outlook. There's simply nothing you can do about the political and economic situation apart from point out that our political and economic systems are both totally insane. I don't think they can be changed without a catastrophic collapse occuring first so you end up concluding that the faster the day of reckoning comes, the better.

I've never been a practical person, but I'd adapt if I had to. It's not that I'm practically incompetent, but I prefer reading a book to digging potato patches in the rain. When I was younger I had a lot of physical energy, these days less so, for various reasons.

My pessimism doesn't come from fear of a grow-your-own lifestyle. I could get used to that. It comes from considering the very real prospects of widespread violence and hunger.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could turn "Off Topic" into "Members' bar", with those rules, perhaps?

And I shall do my best to keep with the silliness...it's a tough job, but someone has to do it Very Happy
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple. We just have to moderate accordingly.
Mean Mr Mustard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandidoz wrote:

Best that that's actually done then?

The opening of the 'Tory Scum' thread being an example. I don't much care for them myself, but really, that thread is really not fit for PowerSwitch. Fails the Pub Test.

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too fussed about swearing; it's the circular/repeated arguments and personal insults that I find tiresome.
Keela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandidoz wrote:

Thank you for the action taken Smile
the mad cyclist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined this forum because you all appeared to be a decent bunch, I dont know if Id think the same now after reading some of the more recent posts.
The pub test, if you dont get the mick taken out of you, youre not part of the group. So thanks lads and lasses. Very Happy
Let nobody suppose that simple, inexpensive arrangements are faulty because primitive. If constructed correctly and in line with natural laws they are not only right, but preferable to fancy complicated devices.
Rolfe Cobleigh
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have taken to writing particular points in large print, which I (and probably many others) find irritating, and tends to reduce the quality of debate. Bold or italics work perfectly well for emphasis.
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Some people have taken to writing particular points in large print, which I (and probably many others) find irritating, and tends to reduce the quality of debate. Bold or italics work perfectly well for emphasis.

It's getting like in the good olde days when desktop publishing was invented, and every document had to have 20 different fonts in 50 different colours!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: