PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grant boost for tidal power 'kite'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wave & Tidal Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Grant boost for tidal power 'kite' Reply with quote

Quote:
Belfast Telegraph - 28/02/11

Technology using an underwater "kite" to generate electricity from tides is to receive a 350,000 grant to test a prototype in the UK's seas, the Carbon Trust revealed.

If the trial, which will put a small-scale device through its paces off the Northern Irish coast is successful, the developer behind the scheme wants to put enough structures in the seas to power all homes in a city the size of Newcastle.

The device works like a kite tethered to the seabed while "flying" through the sea current carrying a turbine.

Article continues ...
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I note that the last line of the article states that tidal power could provide 5% of the UK's needs. I would have guessed it would be quite a bit more then that but these people are working the problem and have a much better grasp of the figures then I. Still 5% would be 5% that was emission free and totally renewable and not purchased from the middle east or Russia. Also any area studded with under water kites and cables would have to be closed to all fishing and would provide a fish propagation area that might be of more benefit then the electric power produced.
JohnB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Cool I note that the last line of the article states that tidal power could provide 5% of the UK's needs

But is that 5% of current needs, or 5% of needs after our 80% reduction in emissions by 2050? It may produce a large percentage of the latter.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Cool I note that the last line of the article states that tidal power could provide 5% of the UK's needs

But is that 5% of current needs, or 5% of needs after our 80% reduction in emissions by 2050? It may produce a large percentage of the latter.

Question How does reducing emissions reduce needs? If anything closing a coal fired plant to reduce emissions leaves a large chunk of demand that needs to be replaced by some other non emitting means. Conservation and closing manufactoring plants count of course but electrifying rail lines and charging plug in electric cars counter that. The question is does the government have a plan that adds up all the pluses and minuses and has all the lights still on (LEDs included) or do they have the cart before the horse and are set to close plants before their replacement is on line or the demand has been removed.
Having worked for governments for years I think I know the answer to that even from this side of the pond.
JohnB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Question How does reducing emissions reduce needs?

By moving to a lifestyle that uses less energy. The bit the government hasn't really told anyone about!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wave & Tidal Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: