PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Village to generate electricity by using Archimedes screw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Village to generate electricity by using Archimedes screw Reply with quote

Quote:
HydroWorld - 02/04/11

The site of an old hydro scheme which used to power a Highland sanatorium will once again produce electricity but this time using a device that dates back to Ancient Greece.

Cairngorms National Park Authority s planning committee yesterday granted Kingussie Community Development Company planning permission for the restoration of the micro-hydro scheme. It will generate electricity from the River Gynack with an annual energy yield of 15 average UK households, which could earn the village 15,000 a year.

Article continues ...
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought of the Archimedes Screw as a means of lifting water. I never thought that you could run it in reverse to generate power. I guess it works best with large flow and low head.

You can't run mechanicial screw gears backwards.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
I always thought of the Archimedes Screw as a means of lifting water. I never thought that you could run it in reverse to generate power. I guess it works best with large flow and low head.

Agree, use of an Archimedes Screw sounds a bit unlikely, I have never heard of one being used to generate power.
Small scale hydro power is a mature technology with a lot to commend it, but I think that this report may have lost something in translation, esp as later in the article they refer to "driving a turbine"
I suspect that in fact this is a standard small hydro scheme with either a purpose made turbine, or perhaps a centrifugal pump being used as a turbine.EDIT it would appear that an Archimedes Screw is indeed being used, see following posts for details and pictures

Last edited by adam2 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Initiation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
RalphW wrote:

Agree, use of an Archimedes Screw sounds a bit unlikely, I have never heard of one being used to generate power.
Small scale hydro power is a mature technology with a lot to commend it, but I think that this report may have lost something in translation, esp as later in the article they refer to "driving a turbine"
I suspect that in fact this is a standard small hydro scheme with either a purpose made turbine, or perhaps a centrifugal pump being used as a turbine.

Nope, water introduced into the top of a screw will turn it, plenty others planned and they are in action,

http://www.torrshydro.org/TheProject/Technology.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7586285.stm

As you say though, high flow/low head only which generally limits them to 10's of kW rather than 100's. But that makes them ideal for the thousands of small weirs on rivers across the country that fit that criteria

Last edited by Initiation on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Archimedes Screw was being planned for a hydo scheme on the River Teifi at Newcastle Emlyn, but the project seems to have been given up on due to the bureaucracy. Ted knows all the details.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the screw for lifting water is leakage. The screw needs to be both free turning and a very close fit with the enclosing tube all the way along. Even a small amount of wear can lead to the efficiency dropping to zero. The larger the head, the bigger the problem.

This would be less of a problem in reverse, as the same drop of water would only flow past each leak once.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
The problem with the screw for lifting water is leakage. The screw needs to be both free turning and a very close fit with the enclosing tube all the way along. Even a small amount of wear can lead to the efficiency dropping to zero. The larger the head, the bigger the problem.

This would be less of a problem in reverse, as the same drop of water would only flow past each leak once.

Leakage would indeed be a problem, and I am somwhat suprised that the idea is viable, but it is obviously working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: