PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flaring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Flaring Reply with quote

Quote:
Global Gas Flaring reduction Partnership: Towards a world Free of Flares

Although the burning of natural gas, or flaring, is the safe and effective method of disposing of excess natural gas associated with oil production, flaring also wastes a valuable clean energy resource and emits carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas.

The World Bank estimates that over 150 billion cubic meters (or 5,3 trillion cubic feet) of natural gas are being flared and vented annually. That is equivalent to 25 per cent of the United States gas consumption or 30 per cent of the European Unions gas consumption. And the annual 40 bcm (or 1,4 trillion cubic feet) of gas flared in Africa alone is equivalent to half of that continents power consumption.

Flaring gas also has a global impact on climate change by adding about 400 million tons of CO2 in annual emissions. This is more than the potential yearly emission reductions from projects currently submitted under the Kyoto mechanisms.

siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTGGFR/Resources/GGFRbrochure(updatedNov08).pdf

Evil or Very Mad
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the gas sold in bottles to the likes of me and JohnB that very same gas which is routinely flared off?
Pepperman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe flared gas is mostly natural gas (methane), the stuff in bottles is liquefied petroleum gas (butane / propane)
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flared gas is usually methane, but can be propane or butane, or often a mixture of gases.
It is indeed a waste, and action to reduce this waste is most desireable.
In the cases of large volumes the building of a pipeline for exporting it can be viable.
Smaller volumes can often be burnt on site to raise process steam or produce electricity.
Often the gas that is flared is a mixture that is unfit for sale without costly processing. Often unfit for fueling a gas turbine, but can be burnt in a boiler.
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Isn't the gas sold in bottles to the likes of me and JohnB that very same gas which is routinely flared off?

I need a rocket stove. I've got tons of free fuel for it!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're easy enough to build with scrap or second hand tins, John.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a small oilfield near me that has been flaring off gas for a couple of years now. Apparently the produced oil comes up with gas, some of which is used in an electricity generator for on-site use and then the rest is burnt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Hydrocarbons All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: