PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peak Uranium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kenneal"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 9822
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eternal optimist

RGR wrote:
...things grow...things contract...


Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, Maya, Egypt, Khmers, British Empire, US /Dollar Empire, for a full list:-

http://www.timelines.info/history/empires_and_civilizations/ancient_civilisations/

We won't be any different. It's what we humans do: exponential growth followed by collapse. (Thank you for the quote, whoever. Can't remember where I saw it.)
_________________
"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closer your examples come to the present day they reveal that in fact the examples you cite are mere localised, economic cycles. Moreover, those cycles would now seem to have much softer landings than previously if our experience (and that of France, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany) is anything to go by. Life didn't stop when those empires ended. I haven't noticed any decline in our standard of life since the war.

What you people seem to want or wish for, so that you can 'return' to an imagined, bucolic, Utopia, is a global economic collapse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 9822
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that those past civilisations occurred when there was a much lower world population and those civilisations weren't digging thousands of feet into the earth to scrape the last remaining concentrated ores out of the ground. At the end of those civilisations there was a big drop in living standards and complexity but other civilisations started elsewhere using the easily available mineral and natural resources.

The problem now is that we are nearing the carrying capacity of the earth and resources have been exploited over all the accessible areas. Should we now have a civilisation decline there would be no easily accessible resources to fall back on and there would be another mass extinction; this time of the human race. This would be because we have come to rely so much on oil for our food production that even the slightest drop in oil supply would have a catastrophic effect of worldwide food supply.

But then you think that's a load of twaddle don't you, Inspector.
_________________
"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kenneal"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="An Inspector Calls"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really can't see that the decline of the British Empire, which was at a catastrophic rate during the two world wars (probably faster than any previous collapse), has caused anything other than a brief period of austerity. So on that example, yes, your proposition is a load of twaddle as you've put it.

On a lighter tone, I am amused to read the dire prophesies of your doom-laiden predecessors during the first Earth Day in 1970 (during those happy days of dire Global Cooling):

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23416&posts=1

Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.

Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions.By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.

Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to supportthe following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollutionby 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half.

By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a ratethat there wont be any more crude oil. Youll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill er up, buddy, and hell say, `I am very sorry, there isnt any.

The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.

It all has the familiar ring of prophesy by dogma rather than thought.

But, cheer-up, you're bound to get a winner one day . . .


Last edited by An Inspector Calls on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kenneal"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="An Inspector Calls"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12469
Location: York

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to speculate what your ramblings here on this forum are a coping mechanism for. It's obviously some kind of a compulsion, because in spite of the fact that no-one here has any time for what you say, you can't get enough of the place.

Do you feel guilty about something, perhaps?
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
The Price of Time
BLOG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnB



Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 6457
Location: Beautiful sunny West Wales!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
It's interesting to speculate what your ramblings here on this forum are a coping mechanism for. It's obviously some kind of a compulsion, because in spite of the fact that no-one here has any time for what you say, you can't get enough of the place.

Do you feel guilty about something, perhaps?

Maybe it's because we're so bloody f'ing polite to him, compared to other sites Very Happy.
_________________
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 9822
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to supportthe following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution


You chose the wrong time for that quote. Didn't you listen to the weather forecast for this weekend?

Smog: people with asthma stay indoors!
_________________
"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RGR
Banned


Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 2011
Location: Rocky Mountains, USA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RenewableCandy"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 13974
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. Apparently this:



is preferable to this:



I know the kind of juice I'd rather have.
_________________
"Buddhists say we come back as animals and they refer to them as lesser beings. Well, animals aren’t lesser beings, they’re just like us. So I say fụck the Buddhists" - Bjork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12469
Location: York

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGR wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:
It's interesting to speculate what your ramblings here on this forum are a coping mechanism for. It's obviously some kind of a compulsion, because in spite of the fact that no-one here has any time for what you say, you can't get enough of the place.

Do you feel guilty about something, perhaps?


I have explained my motivation before.
Yes, but I'm looking for the real reason.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
The Price of Time
BLOG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group