PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does Britain still love the car so much?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was more to do with the heavy right foot of the driver... unless it was the 1.8T. That engine is thirsty, but oh so entertaining. Cool
RogueMale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleeperService wrote:
RogueMale wrote:
RalphW wrote:
and if I do come up behind an HGV, I slow down and wait until there is plenty of space before easing past. That is how you get 93mpg.

You'd presumably get even higher if you stayed in the HGV's slipstream (far enough behind to stop safely, of course).

Well done Ralph considerate driving and thinking ahead and saving a deal of money.

I hope that you're not serious RogueMale, in the dry an HGV stops a lot faster than you think.

To get the benefit of slipstreaming you need to be about 10feet or less behind the lorry.

Not according to Mythbusters, who got an 11% improvement driving at 55mph 100ft behind a big rig (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttgT1XZVvE. That's still closer than the recommended 150ft distance. It's a shame they didn't try 150ft but, even that far behind, I'd still expect a few percent improvement.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same distance (30 metres) also recommended by the hypermiler who recently got 126mpg out of his Skoda - 1250 miles on one tank of fuel.

He said the main problem was that other cars always cut in to the 30 metre gap, and he has to back off again Mad

He also runs his tyres above the recommended pressures (I do too.) Unless you are doing emergency braking in the wet (very rare with my driving style) there are no safety implications.

Went into town yesterday with wife driving. Car got 55mpg due to being constantly in wrong gear and late breaking. The electric fan was racing for minutes after we got home trying to cool the poor beast down Mad
DominicJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said the main problem was that other cars always cut in to the 30 metre gap, and he has to back off again

I think my efforts at being a good driver ended on the way home, after my first drive to work. Stuck in a massive traffic jam, bored of, creep forward a metre, hand break, I left it for a few metres, and the car behind me pulled out, over took me, pulled in.
Mean Mr Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
The electric fan was racing for minutes after we got home trying to cool the poor beast down Mad

Nope, that's normal for a modern diesel. Its the diesel particulate filter (occasional cooking of the soot) cycle being interrupted, which causes the fan to cut in to cool the system down. The engine needs a good steady 60 mph run from time to time.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

Plenty about this and more on Briskoda. Which is not just for the Twisted Evil boy racer petrolheads.
http://briskoda.net/forums/forum/95-skoda-discussions/
Worth a occasional look as it alerts you to common / emerging issues. But remember people only tend to write in reporting problems, not to say they've had another 30k of trouble-free driving. Rolling Eyes

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are presently just so used to it that we really do find
it very hard indeed to even begin to think about
life without mass private car transport.

My next and possibly last car looks like being a throwaway £500
1999 Ford Fiesta.

http://transitiontownsireland.ning.com/video/preying-mantis
DominicJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a £500 T reg skoda.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that you can get them that cheap Smile If we have a "next car" it'll probably be a Skoda.
bigjim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 54 plate Octavia 1.9TDi and I love driving it. The only issue I have is the fuel economy readout, much of the time it tells me I'm doing 60mpg+ (once managed to coax it up to 80mpg) but in reality, once I've filled it up, I calculate I get about 55mpg. I do employ some hypermilling techniques such as slowing down in gear whenever possible rather than going for the brakes, trying not to accelerate too sharply and cycling around town and to work rather than driving.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get one that old.....
SleeperService

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueMale wrote:
SleeperService wrote:
RogueMale wrote:
RalphW wrote:
and if I do come up behind an HGV, I slow down and wait until there is plenty of space before easing past. That is how you get 93mpg.

You'd presumably get even higher if you stayed in the HGV's slipstream (far enough behind to stop safely, of course).

Well done Ralph considerate driving and thinking ahead and saving a deal of money.

I hope that you're not serious RogueMale, in the dry an HGV stops a lot faster than you think.

To get the benefit of slipstreaming you need to be about 10feet or less behind the lorry.

Not according to Mythbusters, who got an 11% improvement driving at 55mph 100ft behind a big rig (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttgT1XZVvE. That's still closer than the recommended 150ft distance. It's a shame they didn't try 150ft but, even that far behind, I'd still expect a few percent improvement.

That's interesting and I stand corrected. Embarassed

Went out on a double run today and followed my mate to see what happened. I figured it would be more obvious in a slab fronted HGV.

REALLY close no buffetting virtually no accelerator needed to keep up.

30 metres a lot of buffeting causing cab rock (due to turbulence off the sides of the lorry ahead?) bit more pedal needed. I suspect a lower streamlined car wouldn't be as affected by the turbulence.

50 metres less buffeting, same pedal as 30 metres caused me to fall back quite quickly. But fuel comsumption WAS better than normal when I maintained the 50 metres by about 5%.

You live and learn Surprised
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you causing more fuel to be used in the followed vehicle?

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
SleeperService

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:

Now THAT is a very good question. When I'm out again I'll see what happens when a lorry comes up behind mine. Confused
ujoni08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Fuel consumption Reply with quote

I have just filled up, and am pleasantly surprised to find that my actual fuel use is lower than what the digital readout on the dashboard tells me.

Readout shows 76.3 mpg, but my own calculations are:

648 miles on 36.0 litres
18 miles per litre
81.72 mpg
28.968192 Km per litre
3.45 litres per 100 Km

That's driving very smoothly and reading the road far ahead, etc. although I live in the Cotswolds, so often have to climb up steep, narrow, windy hills in 2nd or 3rd gear, and use the brakes on steep, narrow, windy downhills, so lose the benefit of being able to just let the car run downhill on a closed throttle, as I would if it were straight and safe to do so. If I moved to Cambridgeshire I reckon I could get closer to 90mpg Smile

Jon
bigjim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:

I wouldn't have thought so. The HGV does all the work by pushing the air out of its path and at some point behind it it'll start to resemble things pre-HGV. I doubt you'd increase fuel consumption if you drive in front of this point, after all there's no real physical connection between the HGV and the following vehicle to cause drag.

Or I may be completely wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: