PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richie2008

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

Hey everybody

Should every country try to shutdown the nuclear plants??? Thats what i'm trying to figure out..... what people think !

i'm in my finals right now and i'm doing a research about the Europeans and there opinion to nuclear power. It would be nice if you are able to take 5 minutes to answer the questionnaire on www.atomenergie-europa.com

Thanks, you help me a lot

Richard
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the questionaire:

"How important is the exploitation of nuclear energy in Europe to you?"

This is a cr@p question. It could be taken to mean "How important is this issue to you?" i.e. are you interested? Do you care about it it? Or it could mean "How much in favour are you of exploiting nuclear energy in the future?"

Is it important? Yes, of course it's important. Should we definately build more nuclear? I don't know...there's two sides to that story. The problem here is that I don't know which question you are asking me, and neither will anybody else answering the questionaire in English.

Last edited by UndercoverElephant on Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
From the questionairre:

This is a cr@p question.

Exploitation suggests using it for the personal benefit and profit of a few people at the expense of the majority, rather than being used in a way that benefits the majority and does no harm (if that's possible with nuclear).

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
From the questionairre:

This is a cr@p question.

Exploitation suggests using it for the personal benefit and profit of a few people at the expense of the majority, rather than being used in a way that benefits the majority and does no harm (if that's possible with nuclear).

"Exploitation" could just refer to the way humans use the Earth's resources in general i.e. it is about harm to the ecosystem rather than harm to one group of humans at the expense of another.
Richie2008

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the questionaire:

This is a cr@p question.

Thanks for the information.
You are totally right about the two ways of interpretation. I will change the question tonight.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie2008 wrote:
From the questionaire:

This is a cr@p question.

Thanks for the information.
You are totally right about the two ways of interpretation. I will change the question tonight.

Richie,

Regarding the wider issues, I'm going to have trouble answering your questions anyway, and here's why:

I think Europe is heading for a major energy crisis and if we don't build more nuclear plants then it means that crisis will get deeper, sooner. In other words...the lights will go out more quickly if we don't do it.

On the other hand, I also think Europe is heading for a major economic catastrophe...that our descendents are going to be much poorer than we are and therefore less able than we are to clean up after the nuclear industry.

SO....whether or not we should build more nuclear rather depends on what you think about the economic future of Europe. If you genuinely believe that everybody is going to get richer then maybe it is OK to leave a radioactive mess for your descendents to clean up. But if you think that there's big economic trouble ahead then this is much harder to justify. If the lights are going to go out anyway, I'd rather there were not a load more old nuclear power stations needing to be dismantled.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get these sort of student questionnaires quite regularly and they always have badly worded questions. Designing a good questionnaire is a very difficult task and I can only guess that universities are poor at teaching questionnaire design to their students.

Too often there is not a clear vision of exactly what information is being looked for. How about telling us in words, first, what you are really trying to find out. Restrict it to a very small number of items. Then it might be an interesting exercise to write questions that will discover the information.

I've filled your questionnaire in, Richard, as best I can but I'm sure it can be improved. Take your last question, for example:

Which kind of energy extraction should be getting subventions?
Solar energy
Carbon energy
Geothermal energy
Hydro energy
Wind energy
Atom energy
District heating energy

First, we are only allowed one choice - I might have wanted to check four of them. 'Carbon energy' is lumping all fossil fuels together but they are not always equivalent. 'District heating energy' is a means of getting heat to house rather than a source of energy. Ans 'subventions' is perhaps not the best English translation. You probably meant 'subsidies'.

Good luck.
Richie2008

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="UndercoverElephant"][quote="Richie2008"]
From the questionaire:

SO....whether or not we should build more nuclear rather depends on what you think about the economic future of Europe. If you genuinely believe that everybody is going to get richer then maybe it is OK to leave a radioactive mess for your descendents to clean up. But if you think that there's big economic trouble ahead then this is much harder to justify. If the lights are going to go out anyway, I'd rather there were not a load more old nuclear power stations needing to be dismantled.

That is a really interesting opinion . I think you are a bit to pessimistic but it's certainly right in some points..... i see a lot of problem in the future but how everybody knows it's based on us the humans.

The reason why i'm doing my bachelor thesis on this topic is because i want to see how Japan affected the thinking of the community in the EU and if different countries have different opinions.
For Example: i think people from France are for new nuclear plants even without having an idea why so .... and Austria is completely agains it. and they say "just because"

The work is not only based on the communities but also on the politics in the European Union. And here only Germany and France are really against nuclear power. Italy for example is just getting back in nuclear power.
Richie2008

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
We get these sort of student questionnaires quite regularly and they always have badly worded questions. Designing a good questionnaire is a very difficult task and I can only guess that universities are poor at teaching questionnaire design to their students.

I've filled your questionnaire in, Richard, as best I can but I'm sure it can be improved. Take your last question, for example:

Good luck.

Thanks for filling in the questionnaire.

I'm sorry for some of the questions but it's not really easy to translate the perfect questions in different languages Smile i gave my best and i'm happy about every hint like yours Smile
And in the last question i wanted to know which of them should be financed the most, thats why i only give one possible answer. And If people would be able to chose more then one, i would not be able to present a good result with statistics Smile
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie2008 wrote:

And If people would be able to chose more then one, i would not be able to present a good result with statistics Smile
Ah yes. Smile That's often the situation. One asks questions that are easy to count rather than the qustions that are important.

You say
Quote:
The reason why i'm doing my bachelor thesis on this topic is because i want to see how Japan affected the thinking of the community in the EU and if different countries have different opinions.

That really is quite an interesting question. I've commented on here a while ago about the lack of interest in Fukushima in the British news media. The whole thing is not getting the attention that I think it deserves. There have not been the same Fukushima related demonstrations here as there have been in Germany.

I've been following twitter after searching on #fukushima. The striking thing is the small proportion of tweets in English. There are of course lots in Japanese but there are more in German, French, Spanish and other languages and fewer in English than I expected. A statistical study you might consider is to count the proportion of the different language tweets and compare this with other non-nuclear related search terms. My hypothesis is that twitter is usually dominated by English but is less so in this case. This might be a reflection of the lack of concern about fukushima in the English-speaking world.

For what it's worth, my guess is that no new nuclear power station will be commissioned in western Europe. From what you say, Italy may be the exception, but I doubt even this.
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

RGR wrote:
So why does the general public's opinion, from a position of general ignorance, matter in the least?

I suppose it matters to the tens of thousands who have been told to move house in Japan, and that might just worry other members of the public who live near other nukes. Most people (unlike me) are unlucky enough not to live in a house on wheels that can be moved easily.

UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

RGR wrote:
Richie2008 wrote:
Hey everybody

Should every country try to shutdown the nuclear plants??? Thats what i'm trying to figure out..... what people think !

Is what people think relevant? People think many things and, on technical topics like nuclear power, it is unlikely that they KNOW much of anything. So why does the general public's opinion, from a position of general ignorance, matter in the least?

Shoooooo!
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

RGR wrote:
Just don't bitch after the fact that "WWAAHHHH!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THOSE BIG TOWERS IN THE DISTANCE WERE FOR A NUKE PLANT SITTING NEAR EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI ZONES!! WWAAAHHHH!! I WANT MY MOMMY!"

Personal responsibility and all that..hip hip..cheerio.

Presumably a lot of the people lived there before the nukes were built, and most of the others listened to people like you and AIC, and didn't think there was a problem with moving there. Now their government are making them move, either because you, AIC and your mates told them a load of bollocks and have now been proved wrong, or the Japanese government are telling them a load of bollocks now. Either way, they've been dropped in the shit by listening to so called experts Evil or Very Mad.

RGR
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

[quote="JohnB"]

Last edited by RGR on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Richie2008

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

RGR wrote:

Is what people think relevant? People think many things and, on technical topics like nuclear power, it is unlikely that they KNOW much of anything. So why does the general public's opinion, from a position of general ignorance, matter in the least?

Yes it is relevant what people think because the leading politicians are elected by the community and thats why i want to know what they thing.
And if you did the questionnaire you saw, that i asked the questions where you get your informations from(radio, tv, .....) and with that i can build up a diagram to figure out how good they are informed Wink

Thanks for your comment Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: