PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

France to build more nuclear plants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ujoni08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: France to build more nuclear plants Reply with quote

http://www.energyefficiencynews.com/i/4218/

'Nikolas Sarkozy announced a 1 billion investment in a fourth generation of nuclear power stations on Monday, despite the growing tide of anti-nuclear feeling in Europe.

In the wake of the continuing nuclear crisis at Fukushima in Japan, the German government has vowed to phase out nuclear power, as has Switzerland, and earlier in the month Italian voters rejected a move to revive the countrys nuclear capacity.

The UK is one of the few remaining European countries maintaining its plans to ramp up nuclear power in coming years.

But Sarkozy said there was no alternative to nuclear power, although he did pledge an additional 1.35 billion for the development of solar and wind power.

Currently, France relies on its 58 nuclear power stations for almost 80% of its electricity needs and is a major exporter of nuclear power'.

Jon
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that more money is going to the 'no alternative'. Smile
energy-village

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: France to build more nuclear plants Reply with quote

ujoni08 wrote:
http://www.energyefficiencynews.com/i/4218/

The UK is one of the few remaining European countries maintaining its plans to ramp up nuclear power in coming years.

If the LibDems are against it and the Tories won't subsidise it I don't see how those plans can ever come about. Under Labour if they get a working majority at the next election?
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: France to build more nuclear plants Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:
If the LibDems are against it and the Tories won't subsidise it I don't see how those plans can ever come about.

Unclear has to be subsidised; it can't make money and provide affordable electrickery.

What it means is, they'll have to come up with other ways of describing subsidies though I sincerely hope the Brits - and any other nation - soon ends up too skint to pay for it. Tough innit? But the sensible choice is to be alive and non-cancerous, even if poor.
energy-village

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the private sector is not going to tie up vast quantities of valuable capital and risk unknown giant liabilities without the prospect of making a killing somehow?

Possibly a guaranteed minimum price for the electricity generated? Or the state to take on the bill for all clean ups and the government to pretend this isnt a subsidy?
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:

Possibly a guaranteed minimum price for the electricity generated? Or the state to take on the bill for all clean ups and the government to pretend this isnt a subsidy?

EV I think you'll find that the Carbon price floor that the Tories said they would introduce was designed to act as a price guarantee for nuclear (and other low carbon electricity generation sources).

As for the insurance for clean ups - given how quickly TEPCO has gone to being virtually bankrupt in around 3 months - the state will almost certainly intervene
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think EV was being Sarko (shurely "Sarky" _ed)
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing nuclear power needs to make it commercially viable in this country is the return of capacity factor payments:

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18775
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to deserve them (and for the payments to serve any useful purpose) nuclear would also need to be as flexible as the types of generators for which those type of payment are being proposed.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as you well know (?), nuclear used to receive capacity payments before the introduction of NETA.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is one of the things that enabled it to get off the ground in the first place!

But now, the purpose of capacity payments has changed. And nuclear, as proposed in the UK, is nbg as a backup for the variable o/p of renewables.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be silly. Capacity payments made a first appearance in 1990 with the POOL rules.

Nuclear, as proposed in the UK, would be similar in steam arrangements to the French nuclear reactors and I have linked many times previously showing that are quite capable of load following.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Capacity payments made a first appearance in 1990 with the POOL rules.
true but irrelevant. Don't be silly.

The load following figures you quoted weren't very impressive compared with those of the proposed gas-fired power stations, though. And France, for its own reasons, doesn't have load-following issues anything like those in the UK.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the introduction of capacity payments in 1990, some 32 years after the first nuclear power station started generation is now irrelevant then I take it that your claim that capacity payments
RenewableCandy wrote:
. . . enabled it to get off the ground in the first place!

is bunkum.

I'm not sure what on earth you mean by
RenewableCandy wrote:
The load following figures you quoted weren't very impressive compared with those of the proposed gas-fired power stations

What figures are those then? Speed of response, amount of generation devoted to load following? I'm not sure those sorts of figures have ever been given. But if you have them, especially for your vaunted load-following gas stations(!), then I'd be genuinely interested in seeing them.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New gas powered station figs were on another forum, not this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: