PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming New Zealand style!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eatyourveg



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 1129
Location: uk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weather. Global warming is a bit different Rolling Eyes .
_________________
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Douglas Bader.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
featherstick



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 1326

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh. Snow in winter.
_________________
"Tea's a good drink - keeps you going"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatyourveg wrote:
That's weather. Global warming is a bit different Rolling Eyes .


I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

featherstick wrote:
Gosh. Snow in winter.

I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ujoni08



Joined: 03 Oct 2009
Posts: 880
Location: Stroud Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: AGW Reply with quote

AIC, could you set out your case for AGW scepticism in some detail, please. Attention! This is not an attack on you! I'm interested. For a start, do you accept that there is a correlation in the historical record between atmospheric CO2 and atmospheric temperature? That could be a starting point.

Perhaps we could start an open discussion about this, or has it been done to death already? What do others feel?

We may want to include orbital variations, ocean variability, solar output, volcanic activity, plate tectonics and human influence, but also the evidence from glaciers, vegetation, pollen, rainfall, dendro-climatology, ice cores, fauna, arctic sea ice, sea level changes, the instrumental temperature record, etc.

Jon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 8015
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a cold snap last winter while the Arctic was extremely warm, 26C above average in places, for the time of year. On average the climate was warmer.

This debate will be settled in my mind over the next thirty years as the cooling sun should cause a drop in average temperatures by about 1.6C. while global warming is contributing 0.8C at the moment. We should see a drop in average temperatures of about 0.8C as a result. The predicted Maunder Minimum should only be a Sporer Minimum.

We need to drastically reduce our fuel imports to improve our financial state, to reduce fuel poverty and to compensate for increasing fuel prices so whether or not PO and CC/GW exist or not isn't worth arguing over really. The mitigation for all three is virtually the same except for the reopening of coal mines. There are very good environmental reasons for not reopening coal mines apart from the CC/GW ones so why no just implement the drastic fuel saving measures anyway.
_________________
BLOG

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 6961
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes


Strawman, anybody?

Absolutely typical climate-change-denialist nonsense. You see it is unusually cold somewhere, and start spewing about climate change not being real (no actual facts/arguments mind you, just spewing ridicule). All you are doing is proving to the world that you don't understand the topic.


Last edited by UndercoverElephant on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 6961
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
We had a cold snap last winter while the Arctic was extremely warm, 26C above average in places, for the time of year. On average the climate was warmer.


Exactly. And if we look at weather in the southern hemisphere right now, we will doubtless discover that somewhere that is usually very cold right now is unseasonally warm. But the denialists don't bother thinking about it that hard, or doing any relevant research, because they've already made their minds up that climate change is not real.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes


Strawman, anybody?

Absolutely typical climate-change-denialist nonsense. You see it is unusually cold somewhere, and start spewing about climate change not being real (no actual facts/arguments mind you, just spewing ridicule). All you are doing is proving to the world that you don't understand the topic.

I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 6961
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes


Strawman, anybody?

Absolutely typical climate-change-denialist nonsense. You see it is unusually cold somewhere, and start spewing about climate change not being real (no actual facts/arguments mind you, just spewing ridicule). All you are doing is proving to the world that you don't understand the topic.

I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056


Ah, so when there's a heatwave all over the northern hemisphere and it is globally the warmest year on record that's not evidence that climate change is happening, but when there's one cold snap in one place in the southern hemisphere, that is evidence that climate change isn't happening, right? Rolling Eyes

Your double standards are stinking the board out. You don't know what you are talking about.

Shall we try the MacG "climate change bullshitter test"?

Do you believe greenhouse warming occurs on Venus?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes


Strawman, anybody?

Absolutely typical climate-change-denialist nonsense. You see it is unusually cold somewhere, and start spewing about climate change not being real (no actual facts/arguments mind you, just spewing ridicule). All you are doing is proving to the world that you don't understand the topic.

I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056


Ah, so when there's a heatwave all over the northern hemisphere and it is globally the warmest year on record that's not evidence that climate change is happening, but when there's one cold snap in one place in the southern hemisphere, that is evidence that climate change isn't happening, right? Rolling Eyes

Your double standards are stinking the board out. You don't know what you are talking about.

Shall we try the MacG "climate change bullshitter test"?

Do you believe greenhouse warming occurs on Venus?


No, I think my point is very clear - perhaps not to you - neither short-term warming events nor cold events signify anything (or very, very little) in terms of climate. But the reaction to my post of a cold event here is striking - compare that to the cosy reactions to warming events:

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18782

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17229

It's a classic confirmation of the denialist taunt: If it's cold, it's weather, if it's hot, it's climate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 6961
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
An Inspector Calls wrote:
Global warming hits New Zealand!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5441237/Country-blasted-by-super-cold-snap

kenneal wrote:
And But repeat after me, "There is no such thing as global warming. There is no su........" Rolling Eyes


Strawman, anybody?

Absolutely typical climate-change-denialist nonsense. You see it is unusually cold somewhere, and start spewing about climate change not being real (no actual facts/arguments mind you, just spewing ridicule). All you are doing is proving to the world that you don't understand the topic.

I quite agree
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056


Ah, so when there's a heatwave all over the northern hemisphere and it is globally the warmest year on record that's not evidence that climate change is happening, but when there's one cold snap in one place in the southern hemisphere, that is evidence that climate change isn't happening, right? Rolling Eyes

Your double standards are stinking the board out. You don't know what you are talking about.

Shall we try the MacG "climate change bullshitter test"?

Do you believe greenhouse warming occurs on Venus?


No, I think my point is very clear - perhaps not to you - neither short-term warming events nor cold events signify anything (or very, very little) in terms of climate. But the reaction to my post of a cold event here is striking - compare that to the cosy reactions to warming events:

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19056

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18782

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17229

It's a classic confirmation of the denialist taunt: If it's cold, it's weather, if it's hot, it's climate.


You've got it precisely backwards. The denialists like to point to outliers - localised weather events which buck the trend. They do exactly what you do have done in this thread - one cold snap in one place and you start crowing about how climate change is nonsense. They also like to accuse the people who believe climate change is real of doing exactly what they do, even though those believers are not doing anything of the sort. The FACTS are that average global temperatures are rising, year on year, to levels higher than any in recorded history.

Of course, the brighter ones eventually figure out that this pathetic strategy doesn't actually convince many people and they then switch to claiming that although the global warming is real, it isn't caused by humans. Finally, if they get to the point of realising that this is probably bullshit also, they start claiming that there are other reasons for believing that the world is going to get colder soon, so there's still no justification for worrying about global warming.

ANYTHING but accept they might have a moral responsibility to do something about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
An Inspector Calls
Banned


Joined: 27 Jan 2011
Posts: 961

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
You've got it precisely backwards. The denialists like to point to outliers - localised weather events which buck the trend.

Not on the evidence of the number of threads here pointing towards short-term warming events and construing global warming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 6961
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Global Warming New Zealand style! Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
You've got it precisely backwards. The denialists like to point to outliers - localised weather events which buck the trend.

Not on the evidence of the number of threads here pointing towards short-term warming events and construing global warming.


Global average temperatures are rising year-on-year. Everything else is noise, and deliberate attempts to muddy the water.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group