PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Choose Reality
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Choose Reality Reply with quote

14th September

http://climaterealityproject.org/

Choose Reality

What can change in a day? Everything. On September 14, the world will focus its attention on the truth about the climate crisis. For 24 hours, we will all live in reality.
Eternal Sunshine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

“24 Hours of Reality will focus the world’s attention on the full truth, scope, scale and impact of the climate crisis. To remove the doubt. Reveal the deniers. And catalyze urgency around an issue that affects every one of us.”

Interesting, let's see what happens. I think Joe Bloggs is pretty burnt out on the issue of climate change nowadays.

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Choose Reality Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
14th September

http://climaterealityproject.org/

Choose Reality

What can change in a day? Everything. On September 14, the world will focus its attention on the truth about the climate crisis. For 24 hours, we will all live in reality.

Which reality? Planet Biff or Planet Earth Laughing
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that we should be preparing for Economic Collapse, PO (peak everything really) and then Climate Change. I think there is more mileage in talking to people on that basis as they can see the economy collapsing around them, they can see that commodities are getting more expensive but CC is a long way off. As the remedies are much the same for all three does it matter which one we push the most. Put the most contentious, to the uneducated anyway, last and just get people doing the right thing.

Pragmatism rules in our house.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather depends on one's viewpoint. I've a friend working in rural Uganda where everybody takes global warming for granted as they know about it first hand. It's the issue of the day. Peak oil is not very important where only the rich own their own bicycle.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now PO is primarily an OECD problem. The OECD used cheap debt to mortgage itself to the developing world whilst energy was cheap. Now energy is in short supply, we are being outbid for the oil and we can no longer grow our virtual economy enough to cover the payments due.

Financial collapse has been built in for 20 years. PO and energy shortages are the key resource constraints. Climate change is the icing on the cake, as climate shocks like hurricanes (and tsunamis) cause step changes to economies on the stair steps to collapse.

OECD nations will fall a long way in the next decade or two, freeing up much oil that will keep the rest of the world ticking over for a while. By that time, climate change will really be hitting China , Africa and India hard.

We will be too miserable to notice.

Of course, the joker in the pack is war. Nothing takes an economy down faster than being fought over by the US military.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Rather depends on one's viewpoint. I've a friend working in rural Uganda where everybody takes global warming for granted as they know about it first hand. It's the issue of the day. Peak oil is not very important where only the rich own their own bicycle.

How can they differentiate the effect of 0.75degC/100years on their ecosystem and the effect of their population increasing by x8 and 80% deforestation over the same period?

I smell a 'let us blame the foreigner so that he will give me money' Ugandan reality there.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You townies might not have noticed any changes in the weather patterns but us farmers in the UK certainly have. I'm having to keep less cattle on the local common because is doesn't support as many as it used to. Cold winters and dry springs are affecting the amount of grass available and the price of hay is through the roof.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmers and other informed persons are well aware of climate change, as posted above.

However for the sheeple, it is yesterdays news, and anyway a few cooler than average weeks are considered to prove it was all a hoax.

A significant proportion of the population believe that global warming, has firstly gone away/been disproved and secondly would be a good thing if it returned since they wish to sunbathe.
Such persons are not able make the connection between a warming climate and rising sea levels for example.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm devastated!

I searched for a viewing party within 200 miles of me and there isn't one.

I expect this is going to be a damp squib.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
I'm devastated!

I searched for a viewing party within 200 miles of me and there isn't one.

I expect this is going to be a damp squib.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You don't think your paymasters will give you time off to organise a local one then Shocked ?
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
Right now PO is primarily an OECD problem. The OECD used cheap debt to mortgage itself to the developing world whilst energy was cheap. Now energy is in short supply, we are being outbid for the oil and we can no longer grow our virtual economy enough to cover the payments due.

Financial collapse has been built in for 20 years. PO and energy shortages are the key resource constraints. Climate change is the icing on the cake, as climate shocks like hurricanes (and tsunamis) cause step changes to economies on the stair steps to collapse.

OECD nations will fall a long way in the next decade or two, freeing up much oil that will keep the rest of the world ticking over for a while. By that time, climate change will really be hitting China , Africa and India hard.

We will be too miserable to notice.

Of course, the joker in the pack is war. Nothing takes an economy down faster than being fought over by the US military.
Laughing
That is one of the bleakest, one of the funniest and probably one of the most accurate assessments of where we are heading I have read in some time.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Farmers and other informed persons are well aware of climate change, as posted above.

Wet Summers - bad hay and good wine. Nothing new there.

Weather always has an impact on farming but how are the Ugandan farmers differentiating between the impact on the ecosystem by 80% deforestation coupled with x8 population growth and the impact of a 0.75degC worth of climate change?

Seems to me that the former would be a much stronger signal in the local data.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eatyourveg wrote:
You don't think your paymasters will give you time off to organise a local one then Shocked ?

Talking of paymasters....

Quote:
Founded and chaired by Al Gore, Nobel Laureate and former Vice President of the United States, The Climate Reality Project has more than 5 million members and supporters worldwide. It is guided by one simple truth: The climate crisis is real and we know how to solve it.

Oh, Al '3 mansions' Gore?

Yeah, he knows how to solve the climate crisis....buy another house Smile
snow hope

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I didn't know tsunamis are caused by climate change..... You learn something new every day. Wink Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: