PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any pitfalls in buying a very small woodland ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

I think that these animals are escaped domestic pigs gone feral and not true wild boar.
That is most likely the case but it makes little difference as after a few generations those that survive become much like their wild ancestors.
There are populations in the South East USA that are descended from escapees from the expeditions of the Spanish Conquistadors of the 1500's. They call them razor backs.
Locally I have escapees from a hunting preserve that are true Russian wild boar but unless you get a shout younger then breeding age they are not fit to eat.
If you have free ranging feral domestic pigs hunt them with extreme prejudice and enjoy the pork from the young ones.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to woodlot management.I'm in the annual wood cutting phase. The pic shows one fifty foot maple in the pile and the top of a smaller ash in the grapple. The butt log of the maple measures 20 inches dia. at the tip end. Note the twenty inch bar on the chainsaw.

Apparently photo bucket has decided to monatise their operation. They are hitting me op for $399.00 for a years ability to post to third sites.
That ain't happening!!!
I'll poke around the net and try to find another way to post pictures for free.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tinypic.com works well for me, VT
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
www.tinypic.com works well for me, VT
Thanks for the tip.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feral pigs have multiplied greatly and are very good to eat if young.
The free range chicken keeping has been a failure, don't know if the pigs actually eat the chickens, or merely out compete them for food.

Two questions for the experts.

Firstly is raw meat from feral pigs safe to feed to pet cats and dogs, or should it be cooked. I would be worried about the pets becoming infested with internal parasites from feral pigs.
It has been cooked so far.

Secondly, can feral pigs be lawfully killed with a shotgun at any time, hopefully they are livestock or pests and not game.
A neighbour has expressed concern at the shooting of the darling little piggies and says they should be captured and humanely slaughtered.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
The feral pigs have multiplied greatly and are very good to eat if young.
The free range chicken keeping has been a failure, don't know if the pigs actually eat the chickens, or merely out compete them for food.

Two questions for the experts.

Firstly is raw meat from feral pigs safe to feed to pet cats and dogs, or should it be cooked. I would be worried about the pets becoming infested with internal parasites from feral pigs.
It has been cooked so far.

Secondly, can feral pigs be lawfully killed with a shotgun at any time, hopefully they are livestock or pests and not game.
A neighbour has expressed concern at the shooting of the darling little piggies and says they should be captured and humanely slaughtered.

All pork both domestic and wild needs to be cooked before being fed to humans or animals. The infestation this prevents is trichinosis which is a round worm that enters the muscles as cysts. Very painful and was most certainly the reason many religions forbade the consumption of all pork.
I'll leave the shotgun regulations to someone on your side of the pond.
Here I can shoot any feral pig anytime with any weapon I choose and a shotgun with OO buckshot or rifled slugs would be my second choice after my 7x57 Mauser.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam check this out. Never mind the nice shorts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWJbB_TPtw
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry but the 1st few seconds of that remind me of The Dukes of Hazzard Laughing Laughing Laughing
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Really sorry but the 1st few seconds of that remind me of The Dukes of Hazzard Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just good ol boys and girls looking to have a good time. Smile
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

A friend of mine shoots large game (deer, boar). From what he's said, my understanding is that you need your firearms licence to cover shooting game - there's a mentoring process to go through to get this added to the licence. He shoots with a 308 rifle, which can take down a 100kg boar with one shot, if aimed correctly. Shooting a shotgun at a boar that size might annoy it rather than kill it, and then you might need to start running... It's also not a humane way to kill them. I've heard of ways of modifying shotgun cartridges to keep the pellets very closely grouped so they act more like a single slug, but these aren't legal.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not aware of that.
Several of the pigs have been killed with a standard 12 bore shotgun, I was not present, but am told that death of the pig seemed instant and humane.

This was at relatively close range, sitting in a stationery vehicle and firing from a window.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One state I hunt in is "shotguns only" at least in the county I am hunting in. The 12 gauge ammo is a single rifled slug weighing an ounce and a half or for those with a rifled shotgun barrel a sabot round which has a 50 caliber bullet encased inside the sabot. Both are entirely adequate for any game up to and including a moose. Complete pass-throughs at 100 yards on broadside shots are the norm with a wound channel for the foster slugs more then two inches in diameter.
But like any round shot placement is the determining factor. A animal hit in the leg by a howitzer will go a long way.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Was not aware of that.
Several of the pigs have been killed with a standard 12 bore shotgun, I was not present, but am told that death of the pig seemed instant and humane.

This was at relatively close range, sitting in a stationery vehicle and firing from a window.

Actually, I found some info here, which says shotguns are OK with the right ammo, though rifles are the preferred method:
http://www.wild-boar.org.uk/pdf/WildBoar_shooting.pdf

The rounds that vtsnowedin describes would require a firearms licence, rather than just a shotgun certificate.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shoot a pig at close range into the head with a shotgun to put it down using bird shot but I wouldn't have liked to get that close to a wild boar. I suspect that I would only have got that close to a wild boar at the correct angle if it had been charging me and then I think its momentum would have carried it into me.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If legal and available 00 buckshot in a 12 bore would serve. If the boar is charging let him get close say ten yards then step to the side after you pull the trigger. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: