PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any pitfalls in buying a very small woodland ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Is there a ditch around or in the woodland, Adam? If so cleaning it out could control the water somewhat, depends on the topography.

There is a ditch which leads to a small pond, but there seems to be no outlet for the pond. The water simply builds up in wet weather and slowly soaks away or evaporates in dry conditions.
I think that the pond is man made with a view to encouraging ducks, though this has not worked.
I see no easy way of draining the land which is probably why it was so cheap.
I find it suprising that the silver birch trees grow so well in such wet conditions. They only grow to a modest size before dying but they are very numerous.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRC willow might be a goer then.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
SRC willow might be a goer then.

Willow does wonderfully in wet ground.

And looks wonderful when the ground floods. Laughing
Tarrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alder is another option for wet ground. Thrives on it.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many trees do well on wet ground. Many woodlands are on high ground as the tops of the hills round East Anglia clay, and flood in the winter and stay wet for quite a while. Ash grows well (the recent governments have sorted this problem by willfully ignoring evidence of ash dieback for the last 20 years, in the hope ash will not grow anywhere).
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:
Is there a ditch around or in the woodland, Adam? If so cleaning it out could control the water somewhat, depends on the topography.

There is a ditch which leads to a small pond, but there seems to be no outlet for the pond. The water simply builds up in wet weather and slowly soaks away or evaporates in dry conditions.
I think that the pond is man made with a view to encouraging ducks, though this has not worked.
I find it suprising that the silver birch trees grow so well in such wet conditions. They only grow to a modest size before dying but they are very numerous.

When the water gets deep enough it will find it's way to the sea. Any dam that is man made may be blocking it's path but it will flow away if you remove some of the obstruction. It is easy to see which way the water wants to drain on a contour map except in very flat areas. If your ground is so flat it isn't obvious stand on your ponds dam and face the nearest stream or river and that will be the way the water needs and wants to go.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have cedar swamps in the UK?
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

But at least some beavers have been re-introduced to a small patch of Scotland.
Tarrel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
adam2 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

When the water gets deep enough it will find it's way to the sea. Any dam that is man made may be blocking it's path but it will flow away if you remove some of the obstruction. It is easy to see which way the water wants to drain on a contour map except in very flat areas. If your ground is so flat it isn't obvious stand on your ponds dam and face the nearest stream or river and that will be the way the water needs and wants to go.

Yes, some of the rides in our woodland are waterlogged at the moment, largely due to artificial "dams" at the sides caused by vehicle tracks. I was digging some drainage channels the other day, to allow the water out to the (lower) surrounding ground. It was fascinating to see which way the water went an what appeared to be fairly level ground. It actually gave me a much clearer picture of the lie of the land. Much more so than a map, even the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey one we have.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I dug a drainage ditch my downstream neighbour threw a wobbly at me. He wouldn't believe that I had a right to drain my land onto his. Where else was I supposed to drain it? It went into a gully with a stream in it as well so it didn't really effect his land that much at all. He was an old country boy as well!!
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Last time I dug a drainage ditch my downstream neighbour threw a wobbly at me. He wouldn't believe that I had a right to drain my land onto his. Where else was I supposed to drain it? It went into a gully with a stream in it as well so it didn't really effect his land that much at all. He was an old country boy as well!!
And if you had dammed it up he would have been miffed that you cut off his supply. You just can't win.!!
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
Yes, some of the rides in our woodland are waterlogged at the moment, largely due to artificial "dams" at the sides caused by vehicle tracks. I was digging some drainage channels the other day, to allow the water out to the (lower) surrounding ground. It was fascinating to see which way the water went an what appeared to be fairly level ground. It actually gave me a much clearer picture of the lie of the land. Much more so than a map, even the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey one we have.

We've been having mud problems too, in areas that have been fine for 5 years... We've just resorted to putting a new culvert in under a track to deal with it...

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, some time on.
During the warm weather the land remained damp, and now after brief but heavy rain it is partly under water again.

About half the silver birch trees have been cut mainly for firewood, and the remaining younger trees seem to be growing well.

The earlier clear cutting of a very narrow strip of woodland near the garden has improved the view and the amount of light reaching the garden.
Growing vegetables has not been very succesful due to the overly damp/wet conditions.
Raised beds to be built in that part of the garden nearest the wood.

The holly is growing well.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Growing vegetables has not been very succesful due to the overly damp/wet conditions.
Raised beds to be built in that part of the garden nearest the wood.

Most people have had the opposite problem this summer, far too dry! If the climate changes permanently to dry summers you will be grateful for being in a wet area.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time, the woodland remains very damp and at times is underwater. Silver birch grows prolifically but is of very poor quality and seldom fit for anything but firewood.
Feral pigs have suddenly appeared and are causing considerable nuisance and destruction, but are good to eat.
My friends are uncertain whether to try and eliminate the pigs, or merely reduce the population, accept the nuisance and enjoy the pork.

I think that these animals are escaped domestic pigs gone feral and not true wild boar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: