PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical supplies - prescription meds stock for remote people
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Medical supplies - prescription meds stock for remote people Reply with quote

I hope to be moving soon, possibly to somewhere that may become cut off by snow in years to come. I was wondering if doctors will consider this a reason to issue a supppy of medicine for emergency use.

Presumably yachtsmen and polar explorers can get supplies to take with them, what about someone who could be snowed in for a couple of weeks ?

A few general purpose antibiotics, maybe some strong painkillers. Possibly even some morphine, it could stop someone with a broken limb from going into shock.

Any idea ?
featherstick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trip to Mexico, or Russia.
madibe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na...no snow in Mexico is there? Laughing
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maudibe wrote:
Na...no snow in Mexico is there? Laughing

There's plenty of snow in Mexico, and plenty of heavily armed drugs gangs willing to sell as much as your want Wink.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most doctors are helpful if you can explain the reasoning behind the request.
Morphine might be problematic as it is very widely abused.
AFAIK the captain of a ship (including a small ship such as a yacht) is permitted to hold under lock and key, certain controlled drugs that would not otherwise be permitted.
Some of the suspect private doctors and clinics will give you a prescription for almost anything if you pay the fee.
MrG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Morphine might be problematic as it is very widely abused.

Err... at the risk of stating the obvious... grow your own!! Not morphine obviously but opium.. does the job surely as a painkiller. Poppies are easy to grow and that includes opium poppies in the uk.

A friend used to grow opium poppies in the back garden for many years but they were killed by neighbours roundup leaching under the fence Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

I know of a large field in Oxfordshire which is full of large headed poppies and I sat in the field and bled them a few years back to accumalate a useful quantity of raw opium. I was assuming they are being grown under license for the NHS.. I don't know.. but they are definitely there.

I went there last weekend, they are still growing poppies, they are in season and ripe for bleeding... going back and putting a tent up in the middle of the poppies Very Happy

Really I should be taking some seeds though I guess.

- Take live poppy when seed case is green
- Make many small vertical slits around the seed case (all over it) with the back of the point of a sharp knife
- Wait for the sap (opium) to bleed out and then dry on the seed case
- Once sap has dryed into browny / amber coloured solid pick it off with a knife and save it.. this is raw (impure) opium
- Smoke it! The above is a REALLY annoyingly fiddly process, which after going through, coincidentally you really need to smoke some opium

This works better when the plant is still in the ground.. failing that because of the obvious issues of opium being illegal pick the flowers with as much stalk as possible and get into a vase of water STRAIGHT AWAY
MrG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say... there is opium in ALL poppies, including red ones. It's just a question of how much. Red ones aren't even worth bothering with though.

Basically the larger the seed head the more juice is in it. I bled some of my mums multi coloured ornamental poppies once and got enough for a joint out of like 7 or 8 heads.. rubbish really. There is more in blue or white poppies.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it worth reviving this old thread.
Friends in a fairly remote area have become increasingly concerned at the consequences of being cut off by extreme weather or manmade disaster.

They approached their GP who was less helpful than they hoped.
They then asked a local pharmacist for advice, they were pleased to supply a selection of pharmacy only medications, at a substantialy reduced price compared to buying each item individualy.
They normally sell these to those leading expeditions to remote places, but agreed that it was good idea for a remote home.

As regards prescription only medicines that are used regularly, the only "off the record" advice was to feign loss or theft of a months supply of medication, thereby obtaining more and allways having at least a months reserve.
This is not entirely honest and would attract unelcome attention if done repeatedly, but just once is a bit tempting.

Morphine is a very valuable painkiller for serious injury, and not easy to obtain lawfully due to the potential for abuse.
Producing ones own from poppies as suggested above could be worth considering. But how would the correct dose be determined ? remembering that insufficient could leave the victim in pain, and that too much is liable to kill.
There are guides to the proper use of medicaly prescribed morphine, but for a home made substitute of unknown potency ?

Last edited by adam2 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mobbsey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known climbers going to remote parts of South America who've legally been able to take along morphine and various other prescription only drugs. I can't remember what the name of it is, but you can apply for a certificate that allows you to store/carry controlled drugs. I think it might involve a day training in order to get the certificate, but once you have it you're OK.

However, whether living a long way out in the sticks would be considered a valid excuse I'm not sure.
Mean Mr Mustard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my mother was terminally ill, she was prescribed a 'crash pack' of various meds beyond her usual prescription stuff, including diazepam and morphine, amongst a dozen other items. All in a plastic box with a list taped to the lid, signed for by me at the pharmacy. These emergency packs are a local initiative by that PCT.

On Mum's final day, the doc called and administered morphine from the pack. Only problem was the pack didn't contain a syringe for accurate measurement which the Doc needed to stay within legal limits. Normally a district nurse would have those. Luckily, I had an unused syringe, intended for mixing hobby paints and thinners...!

As for me, I have a stockpile of insulin. Bank failures, the Greek experience, the long (overseas) supply chain for this stuff, and my own background in disaster planning all tell me it makes good sense to hoard all sorts of essentials, to avoid the thorough unpleasantness of panic.

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
Hagrid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no such luck if you belong to our health centre, but we manage to stockpile some by putting our regular prescription requests in earlier than normal, also if its on your repeat list get it anyway even if you dont need it that month and get a stockpile that way.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that a significant minority of pharmacists do not strictly follow the law as regards prescription only medicines.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20633639

Might therefore be worth shopping around if you want a small stock for emergencies.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it worth reviving this old thread.

I have noted an increase in "pharmacy only" and even "prescription only" medicines being sold on fleabay, I don't think that such listings are allowed, but enforcement is patchy.

In particular Voltaren tablets, used to be available over the counter from UK pharmacists, but are now prescription only.
These tablets are useful for joint or arthritic pain as they not only dull the pain but also reduce the inflammation that caused the pain.

Be aware that there are two different types, quick acting and retarded action, the later are coated in something that prevents them dissolving promptly in the digestive system.

Several sellers on fleabay offer these, usually from overseas. I would think twice about purchasing from some countries, but Germany or Spain should be ok.

If you wish to buy medicines on-line, it is worth perusing Wikipedia to ascertain different spellings in different countries and to find generic equivalents.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always believed in stocks of useful drugs, because doctors cannot be trusted to put common sense before their pomposity. If you are on a daily med it's easy. Lay off the dose before you see the doc and he will crank up the dose. If it's a reasonable sized tab you can then divide them for the 'right' dose [so they last longer] or if it's something of dubious value like a BP tablet or statin, just take them every other day or alternate them if you are on 2 types. Remember the medical morons expect you to last a month on a box of 28 tablets anyway!
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this recommending drugs disturbing. Reducing inflammation, for example, only hides the symptom, it does not IMO fix the problem. What might help is vitamin B3, and the other “helpers’ that are needed to make the right things happen.

BP medications are est avoided, and statins are one of the biggest medical confidence tricks ever.

It would be better to understand physiology than to try and suppress the signs just ecause someone has said they shouldn’t be there.

It’s nutrition not medication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: