PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm kernel shells (moved from general forum)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Christians we should help those less fortunate than ourselves which the Government is doing with the Aid budget. That also has the added advantage of helping the poor to stay where they live now rather than becoming economic migrants and flooding our already overcrowded country.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
I may have benefited from slavery, but that doesn't mean I'm guilty of any moral wrongdoing. How can I be held responsible for something that happened before I was born?

Fair enough. It's that benefit I'm questioning, really. We benefit today from the 'sins of our fathers' Rolling Eyes and I'm interested in the moral take on that aspect.

Yes, you can't be held responsible for the actions of just about everyone, especially before you were born. But if, as is arguable, you continue to benefit from those actions?

I don't think I'm continuing to benefit from slavery.

Perhaps a thought experiment...what if you were to inherit lots of money from a parent who had done something morally bad in order to acquire that wealth? I'd say that is not such a nice position to be in, unless you have no conscience.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you did with the money. If you used it to help the needy that would be admirable and would show that you, indeed, have a conscience.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
I may have benefited from slavery, but that doesn't mean I'm guilty of any moral wrongdoing. How can I be held responsible for something that happened before I was born?

Fair enough. It's that benefit I'm questioning, really. We benefit today from the 'sins of our fathers' Rolling Eyes and I'm interested in the moral take on that aspect.

Yes, you can't be held responsible for the actions of just about everyone, especially before you were born. But if, as is arguable, you continue to benefit from those actions?

I don't think I'm continuing to benefit from slavery.

The 'benefit' I'm thinking of is the exploitation of colonies as well as the benefits accrued through using slavery - what would England look like if we hadn't been a, ahem, 'great seafaring nation', if we'd decided not to rule the world?
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
...........what would England look like if we hadn't been a, ahem, 'great seafaring nation', if we'd decided not to rule the world?

Ireland?

emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
...........what would England look like if we hadn't been a, ahem, 'great seafaring nation', if we'd decided not to rule the world?

Ireland?

Well spotted; just what I was thinking.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
the_lyniezian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since it came up, might as well address it.

I don't think it's correct doctrine to suggest we are held liable for the sns of our ancestors- but in ways, we still represent them, either as biological continuations thereof, or as representatives of the countries or institutions of which we may be a part. It is perhaps therefore right, or at least prudent, to openly turn away (repent) of the wrongdoing of our ancestors, to be rightly ashamed of it, and where necessary, to apologise- it doesn't hurt, to be seen to do so, and to resolve to do better.

I think also with Adam and Eve, what we inherit is the sin nature, not necessarily their guilt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: