PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My latest bicycle related ramblings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: My latest bicycle related ramblings Reply with quote

I think bikes could play a far larger role in transport than they currently do. In my opinion, at least five times more trips could be made by bike than they are. Last year I took a qualification in bicycle maintenance, here's a blog about it:
http://chrisvernon.co.uk/2012/01/bicycle-maintenance/
extractorfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was the C&G if you don't mind me asking?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 1000!
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video of Chris in action Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in Dublin recently and, while the Irish are not generally cycle-tolerant, it was heartening to see the huge increase in the use of cycles there. Hundreds, if not thousands, of them, plus cycles for hire on many streets.

They banned HGVs from the city centre some years ago, put in more pedestrianised areas and introduced cycle lanes and hire bikes and it has made a huge difference, though it's still a smelly, noisy, dirty place. Laughing
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new pedals to my bike yesterday. If I had enough space to organise a workshop I would have found a pair in my store of spare parts and saved the money. My workshop is the wearedodgy floor.

My bike has cost me several hundred pounds over the last ten years in parts, lights, ripped trousers and lost gloves.

It has probably saved me ten or twenty thousand pounds in commuting costs, and has added years to my life expectancy.

I'm definitely a middle sized beard, I can change most parts on a bike, but I have never rebuilt a wheel or a bottom bracket.

When power down hits hard, I can always earn a few bob fixing bikes. Unfortunately Cambridge has more cycle mechanics per head of population than anywhere else in the country...
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
A video of Chris in action Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw

Ah the old ones are the best ones.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
My bike has cost me several hundred pounds over the last ten years in parts, lights, ripped trousers and lost gloves.

And it actually takes a good long time to 'save' money as against using a car, thinking about the extremely cheap fuel costs.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlov has a good post about his biking thoughts. I could have almost written it myself but not this:

Quote:
I also tend to take up a full lane whenever a bicycle lane is not available

as I value my life. Much as I would like to 'take up a full lane', road rage is is the preserve of drivers.

And this:

Quote:
And yet with just about any random group of people I encounter the idea of bicycling through winter is regarded as very strange: somewhere between suicidal and heroic. (The fact that driving a car is far more dangerous, and suicidal on multiple levels, does not seem to register with most people.)

Razz
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest bicycle related ramblings Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I think bikes could play a far larger role in transport than they currently do. In my opinion, at least five times more trips could be made by bike than they are. Last year I took a qualification in bicycle maintenance, here's a blog about it:
http://chrisvernon.co.uk/2012/01/bicycle-maintenance/

Interesting blog, and not just the bikes.
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to show the influence you lot have on me, I started cycling to work a couple of months ago - just invested in a nice new one which I pick up on wednesday.

Its 8 miles each way, so I figured I could give up the gym membership , and the 11 a side footy (as I am too old anyway!), save a bit of diesel - I reckon I am 100 better off and fitter!

On top of the above this week we have double glazing booked for early feb, also cavity wall insulation the week after - next is the solar panels and the allotment in the garden!! Very Happy

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work there TB! Smile
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris I think i am right in saying you bike to work, can I ask what sort of bike you use?

I have just invested in a Hybrid bike with 32c tyres, no suspension(fixed front forks?), lots of gears etc to get a bit more speed (I use a 69.99 cheapy mountain bike at the moment and getting enough momentum up for those steep hills aint happening! Smile - at least a get a rigourous work out lol!)

Do you use a road bike? Are you a "lycra lad"? Laughing

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my daily commute, which is only 3 miles each way, with lots of hills and fiddly bits I use a Kona Dew Plus. I used to use a hard tail mountain bike with 26" wheels, but with slick tyres. The hybrid is much better!

I do also have a full carbon road bike that I use for weekend rides, triathlon races etc. However, in the spring, I'm planning to build my own steel frame tourer and transfer the components over from the carbon bike.
lancasterlad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. Alf & Teresa are good value. I built a pair of wheels for Teresa's bike whilst I was there! I don't think she's ever let anybody do that for her before!

I now understand the earlier photo of your truing stand. I think I'd buy a dishing gauge rather than making one, accuracy is pretty important. The Park one would do teh job.

Who turned the lights off?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: