PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Cry from the Rainforest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: A Cry from the Rainforest Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0192w60/Baka_A_Cry_from_the_Rainforest/

One of the most depressing documentaries I've seen in a long time, about the unnoticed plight of the Baka/pygmies of Cameroon. It revisits the same family that was filmed 25 years ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017xgv8/Baka_People_of_the_Rainforest/

They still live in the forest, but... Sad
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Such a sad film. It really shows, through one small group of people, how we have messed up. Particularly poignant for Baka Beyond fans.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff,

Who do you think is the "we" who have messed up in this case? What is the connection between people like you and me, and the people in this film, apart from that we share the same planet?

UE
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Biff,

Who do you think is the "we" who have messed up in this case? What is the connection between people like you and me, and the people in this film, apart from that we share the same planet?

UE

It a western idea to make National Parks that exclude indigenous people from them. And its western environmental and business practice that encourages the felling of rain forests to extract a small number of the commercially attractive trees.

We are not too blame, however, for the fact that the Baka, and all pygmy populations throughout Africa, are both practically and figuratively looked down on by the Bantu population.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
Biff,

UE

It a western idea to make National Parks that exclude indigenous people from them.

That's pretty tenuous. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of protecting a chunk of rainforest so that humans can't hunt the animals there, especially when there's hunting going on in the forest all around.

Quote:

We are not too blame, however, for the fact that the Baka, and all pygmy populations throughout Africa, are both practically and figuratively looked down on by the Bantu population.

That looked to me like the main problem. The biggest problem for the Baka are the Bantu (and themselves.) Westerners are responsible for a lot of the problems in the world, but not all of them. The Bantu "invasion" of the territory of earlier indigenous people had nothing to do with white colonialists. It happened (in Cameroon) before 500BC.

And white people didn't invent alcohol either...
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our demand for timber and coltan bear a heavy responsibility.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Our demand for timber and coltan bear a heavy responsibility.

Why? We have no influence and control over how "third world" countries use their resources. This is not white colonialists stripping the forests. It's the natives, or at least those who have been in control for most of the last 2000 years. I still don't understand what you mean by "we". At least 90% of the enormous problems suffered by these Baka tribesmen have no connection at all to anything you or I have ever done.

It is very sad, but this is partly about one group of Africans taking advantage of another group, and partly about the Baka themselves not being able to adjust to their world being drastically changed around them.

We're guilty of enough already without taking on blame for stuff we can't do anything about.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain is Europe's biggest market for West African timber. I don't buy it. I only use British timber.

In the case of the Baka, they have been in control of their own destiny, living in harmony with their forest, possibly for tens of thousands of years. Their music, heard in the films and much promoted by Baka Beyond, is possibly the oldest music on the planet.

It's only in the last couple of decades that the system has collapsed, primarily the result of timber and metals demands from the developed world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: