PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research into Prepping & Survivalism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naomi86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Research into Prepping & Survivalism Reply with quote

Hi.

I work for an Independent TV Production Company in London, and we are developing a documentary that would be looking at all aspects of the prepping community, from new starters to established preppers and survival experts. It will also look across the diverse reasons to as why people prep from economic breakdown, rising fuel prices, running out of energy supplies and rising food prices to SHTF scenarios.

We're very keen to hear from anyone who has adapted their lifestyle, and has prepaired for these potential scenarios.

If you are interested in speaking to us, please contact me at:

naomi.banat@bullseyetv.co.uk
0203 189 3510

I look forward to hopefully hearing from some of you.

Best,
Naomi
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people wouldn't want the fact that they were prepping advertised too widely. When the preps were needed they might find that they had quite a few new "friends"!

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that reality tv has such a poor reputation that my first thought was 'That's interesting' and my second was 'but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole'.
extractorfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Kenneal's excellent point that part of prepping is only sharing your prep world with people you absolutely trust, not the wider world, there's another point.

Even if your prep's are never needed, any tv show would just make you out to be a total loon. Getting involved would be a lose lose situation.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extractorfan wrote:

Even if your prep's are never needed, any tv show would just make you out to be a total loon.

Yep, I'm worried it will be a sensationalist attempt to portray British "preppers" as similar to their American counterparts. There has always been a big difference between the sort of people who post on this board and the "total loons" who used to hang out on LATOC before Matt Savinar went all astrological.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Research into Prepping & Survivalism Reply with quote

Naomi86 wrote:
It will also look across the diverse reasons to as why people prep from economic breakdown, rising fuel prices, running out of energy supplies and rising food prices to SHTF scenarios.

Plus those who just enjoy a simple kind of life, undisturbed by tv.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
featherstick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bullseyetv.co.uk/

Gadget Geeks

The Witch Doctor Will See You Now

World's Worst Weather

Eating with Cannibals

Park Fear

Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers.
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

featherstick wrote:
http://www.bullseyetv.co.uk/

Gadget Geeks

The Witch Doctor Will See You Now

World's Worst Weather

Eating with Cannibals

Park Fear

Search for the Amazon Headshrinkers.
All looks a bit low-rent to me
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
extractorfan wrote:

Even if your prep's are never needed, any tv show would just make you out to be a total loon.

Yep, I'm worried it will be a sensationalist attempt to portray British "preppers" as similar to their American counterparts. There has always been a big difference between the sort of people who post on this board and the "total loons" who used to hang out on LATOC before Matt Savinar went all astrological.

yup the total loons are pretty prepared for the worst, if I was ladbrooks and I was going to give odds on who would be alive 10 years after a fast crash I'd bet on quite a few of the harder core latoc loons over most UK transition town preppers

Shocked I can see them in my dreams sitting on rocking chairs going yup we warned you jonny to flee to Idaho but you wouldn't listen

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a more interesting programme would look at the folks who have no preparations at all, who live a neo-hand to mouth existence, totally dependent on the complex industrial systems around them for their very lives.

How do people become so dependent? How do people come to trust corporations like Tesco with their lives? Having electricity, clean running water, a supermarket full of cheap food... and a wallet full of money is a strange situation. Several billion people in the world don't have it, and for all but the last half century no one had it.

A couple of generations ago we were all 'preppers' - today many people have devolved that responsibility to corporations and the state. They are the strange folk one should be making documentaries about.
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with clv101

And you would find it far easier to find some dependent people than preppers .

Whats your own situation Naomi86

Although you may not read this as likely this thread is somewhat of a fishing lure

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
ujoni08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: preppers Reply with quote

Very good point, CLV101.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I think a more interesting programme would look at the folks who have no preparations at all, who live a neo-hand to mouth existence, totally dependent on the complex industrial systems around them for their very lives.

How do people become so dependent? How do people come to trust corporations like Tesco with their lives? Having electricity, clean running water, a supermarket full of cheap food... and a wallet full of money is a strange situation. Several billion people in the world don't have it, and for all but the last half century no one had it.

A couple of generations ago we were all 'preppers' - today many people have devolved that responsibility to corporations and the state. They are the strange folk one should be making documentaries about.

One does have to wonder what proportion of the people you describe are already/becoming aware/worried about the direction we are heading in, but don't really know what to do about it.
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
clv101 wrote:

One does have to wonder what proportion of the people you describe are already/becoming aware/worried about the direction we are heading in, but don't really know what to do about it.
The truth is, very few of them can do anything about it. Nor, even, can many on here. A lot of what we do on here is about soothing our worried brows and little more.

So, a few of us are growing veg in our back graden or in an allotment. A few of us have done away with the car and are biking everywhere. So what? These kind of measures aren't going to be worth a toss if it get's bad enough that things like food shortages become a real phenomena. By the time that happens, we will be almost certainly living in a police-state just in order to keep a lid on things and anything you think you own will be siezed by the state if deemed necessary for the "common good".

The only way that the kind of preps that are actually realistically viable for the average citizen will be of any benefit to them is if society does not actually collapse, but just gets a bit grimmer than today. In which case fair enough I suppose.

If society did totally collapse, the only preps that would have any real value would be to develop mending and maintaining skills and to form tight communities of highly armed people who would be prepared to fight and die to protect what they had.

There are going on for nearly 70 million of us in the UK and, without the system as it stands, there is no way at all that the vast majority of people could even begin to support themselves. Consequently, most people make the entirely reasonable calculation that they may as well not even think about it.

We either keep the system as it is and carry on with BAU, albeit on a progressively grimmer basis over time. In which case, there is some argument for learning to limit one's consumption levels in preparation for leaner times ahead. Or, we get much more severe disclocations in our system, in which case, there is pretty much f*ck-all that most people can do to prepare for that.

Last edited by stevecook172001 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
[If society did totally collapse, the only preps that would have any real value would be to develop mending and maintaining skills and to form tight communities of highly armed people who would be prepared to fight and die to protect what they had.

Interesting that you come to that conclusion but just how do you expect any group of ordinary citizens in the UK to highly arm themselves?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: