PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Research into Prepping & Survivalism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't, for a start Smile
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither, but all she has to do is follow the thread she started to get a basic idea of what we think. I wonder if she has.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:
Which is precisely why this poor lass the OP isn't going to get any takers 'round here Smile

Did anyone get in touch with her?

I did, but I described myself, and was taken as, a potential trainer of "preppers" (foraging aspects) rather than a "prepper" myself.
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Did anyone get in touch with her?

I did, but I described myself, and was taken as, a potential trainer of "preppers" (foraging aspects) rather than a "prepper" myself.

Blown your cover again Rolling Eyes . A quick look here and a look at their site will reveal probably only one trainer, and with the admission here? Laughing Laughing Laughing . You couldn't make it up. Very Happy
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleeperService wrote:
jonny2mad wrote:
If you ran tesco wouldn't you have a plan for a financial collapse, if you were in charge of the UK wouldn't you have a plan to close shops considering most of the UK food stocks are on the shelves of UK stores .

I don't think you will have hours on the last day, also your far more likely to be noticed transporting a big bulk of food in a emergency than adding a little every week in a time of plenty

AFAIK the big stores have regional disaster plans but nothing to cover a complete collapse. Certainly store mangers don't know anything about it and there's nothing in the big handbook that I could find. They appear to be allowing Big Govt to make the decisions, not that they have much choice. After all shutting down would impact profits, and they HAVE to assume any collapse will be short lived as their business isn't viable if it isn't.

J2M makes a good point about stash building. Keep it low profile or it'll be your windows people will be coming in through Shocked

How long would it take for the government to ring round the ceo of tescos sainburys etc etc and say close your shops, and for them to send out the order to their stores .

Then you only have corner shops who would soon close or be over run with buyers , then either the big shops get looted or they re-open and get cleared by a alerted populace or they only sell at inflated prices maybe for gold .

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2mad wrote:
How long would it take for the government to ring round the ceo of tescos sainburys etc etc and say close your shops, and for them to send out the order to their stores .

They wouldn't have to waste time like that. Just cutting the IT network to the shops would fix it. Have you ever tried to buy things from a large outfit when the computers go down? Impossible. They can't tell what it is, what price it is and can't take payment or give change.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
jonny2mad wrote:

They wouldn't have to waste time like that. Just cutting the IT network to the shops would fix it. Have you ever tried to buy things from a large outfit when the computers go down? Impossible. They can't tell what it is, what price it is and can't take payment or give change.

Even simpler then that, just cut the electric grid from the stores and their cash registers won't work. With the bar code reader off the staff won't know what to charge for any item, and with our excellent education system none of the staff could sum the price of even three purchases and using only pencil and paper compute the proper sales or Vat tax,. or make change if needed.
Don't try to tell me I am wrong on this or exaggerating. I have been in a big box store during a power cut and the staff could do nothing . I repeat "Nothing"
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I suggested a network cut is there would be a significant amount of food in freezers/chillers that would get chucked in the event of a power cut.
SleeperService

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
jonny2mad wrote:

That would actually work rather well. Some chains, the one's I've worked for at least, would stop people coming into the shop, clear those with no purchases and do a 'best guess' on the ones in the checkout who could pay with cash or a manually swiped card. The others would be asked to leave their stuff behind. That's normal in the event of a power cut in any case.

Lorries inbound to the store wouldn't be able to unload so would reverse trip back to the depot. All shut down with no panic at the store.

Chiller cabinets usually have a thermal blind that can be pulled down to slow warming. I think that different circuits could be switched off or on seperately so once the store is cleared power could be selectively restored.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleeperService wrote:
All shut down with no panic at the store.

When the alert goes out, I doubt "no panic" will be an available option.
featherstick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
SleeperService wrote:
All shut down with no panic at the store.

When the alert goes out, I doubt "no panic" will be an available option.

But the scenario proposed here is one of NO alert, just a simultaneous power cut to all stores, with stores putting rehearsed protocols into place, which make customers think "Minor inconvenience" rather than "It's TEOTWAWKI- AAAARRRRGGGH!"

By the time you'd been thrown out of Asda, then not got into Sainsburys because they too had a power cut, TPTB would have secured the supply chain, for what it's worth, and the sheeple wouldn't know a thing.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds rather too organised.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
featherstick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Sounds rather too organised.

Here - you dropped your tinfoil hat Arrow Tinfoil Hat
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
jonny2mad wrote:

20 years ago, when I worked for Sainsburys, we were trained the procedure for what happens if you are stuck on a checkout and the central computer goes down. No new customers would be let in, and customers inside the store are told to go to the checkouts, where the assistant would guess the prices of what was in their trollies. At the end the customer would be asked whether they think the final bill is reasonable, and if they didn't then you basically let them pay whatever they think is reasonable.

Don't know if this is still their policy.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also talked to her via email, just out of interest as she'd PM'd me. Explained to her why people probably wouldn't be too keen to be on TV with their stuff, except in very limited circumstances - e.g. I'd be happy to talk about the benefits of owning and managing a bit of woodland, but not about most of the other stuff.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: