PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uses For Dead Freezer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three old non-working fridges that we use as apple stores. The sealed atmosphere slows deterioration. We are still eating last year's apples every day and probably have another month to go.

Just pile the apples in - no need to wrap them or space them.
SleeperService

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Uses For Dead Freezer Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
My neighbour likes to see his rubbish reused, and gives me all sorts of useful stuff! The latest offering is a dead freezer. The uses I've seen are for chest freezers, but this is an upright under worktop one, so a fair bit smaller.

Any suggestions about what it can be used for?

Further to ideas above mine holds all parafin, paint and other smellies. The top makes a handy work bench Very Happy

If you're going to tip one on it's back to use make sure you remove at least the compressor. It's got some oily stuff in it which smells pretty bad when it leaks out.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
We have three old non-working fridges that we use as apple stores. The sealed atmosphere slows deterioration. We are still eating last year's apples every day and probably have another month to go.

Probably the most practical idea I've seen on here for a long time. The usual advice is rows and rows of shelving, with space between each apple.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
sam_uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one as a chicken house. Worked well..

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Biff. We've got a dead freezer in the cellar which will be an absolute b****r to get out. Won't bother now as we'll fill it with apples and use the shelving for something else.

Do you think that they off gas something that gets trapped in the freezer reducing any rot?

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the tip on Radio 4 Gardeners' World a few years ago. I don't know the explanation but I guess the apples are respiring so that CO2 levels build up and this inhibits further deterioration.

By this time of year we do get the odd apple that rots - but it's just the odd apple and it doesn't seem to spread to the next apple so you just chuck it out.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had to shuck out three of our remaining five trays of apples as they've gone rotten. the remaining ones are going soft so I don't think they will last much longer. We've got quite a few bottles of stewed apple left though.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
stumuzz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:

Do you think this would work if the freezer was outside?
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:

Absolutely gem information. I've learnt something useful today. I'll look for a freezer, and I have contacted a car bodyshop that deals with aircon. They will degas the freezer for a nominal amount. Does anyone know if the fittings they have have for vehicles will allow them to do the job?
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone issues permits for that sort o'thing. Either your friendly local Council, or HMG (DEFRA). They'll have a list of who can do it. I think you can get done for having it done in a non-kosher manner: these things are massive GHGs and burn holes in the Ozone layer to boot.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who deal with aircon are certified if they run a proper operation. I would want a certificate as I don't want to be woken at dawn. Modern gases don't cause as much damage as the older ones. (And certainly not the 24,000 x CO2 that solar cell cleaners cause).
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
biffvernon wrote:

Probably the most practical idea I've seen on here for a long time. The usual advice is rows and rows of shelving, with space between each apple.

Biff - could you use any sealed container for apple storage? Is the fridge just a convenient one? There are a couple of clean empty containers at work with push-seal lids. Providing the temperature is monitored (limits?) then presumably any gases generated by the apples will do their job in any sealed area, even better if the lid is on the top, so you just lift one edge and remove apples one at a time?

Whatcha tink?
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it and see. They should be as cool as possible but frost free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: