PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subsidies for new nukes

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
biffvernon



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 18551
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Subsidies for new nukes Reply with quote

Would you Adam n Eve it:

Quote:
Ministers are planning to subsidise nuclear power through electricity bills – despite their promises not to, a secret document seen by the Guardian reveals.

The leaked document clearly lays out plans to use "contracts for difference" for nuclear energy, which would allow nuclear operators to reap higher prices for their energy than fossil fuel power stations.

The plans will further inflame rows over energy policy and cause a political furore for the Liberal Democrats, who fought the general election firmly opposing an expansion of nuclear power.

Fiona Hall, leader of the Lib Dem group in the European parliament with a special interest in energy, said she now had no doubt that the contract for difference was a subsidy. "Industry on all sides believe this is a subsidy." She wants the UK court of auditors as well as the European commission to give a legal ruling on the issue and believes any subsidy runs against the coalition agreement. In a blog posted on the Liberal Democrat Voice website she calls on fellow party members to "speak out" against nuclear subsidies.



More:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/apr/20/coalition-u-turn-nuclear-energy-subsidies
_________________
http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
nexus



Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 1307

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shite Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
_________________
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Frederick Douglass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12469
Location: York

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of luck it'll be kyboshed by the State Aid laws...apparently they've already got some lawyers on the case Smile That's, the 1% of lawyers who are given a bad name by the remaining 99%, as the olde quip has it.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
The Price of Time
BLOG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 9816
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
With a bit of luck it'll be kyboshed by the State Aid laws...apparently they've already got some lawyers on the case Smile That's, the 1% of lawyers who are given a bad name by the remaining 99%, as the olde quip has it.


Which side are the human rights lawyers on?
_________________
"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12469
Location: York

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh they're definitely not the ones with the bad names...unless they're wittering about the human rights of mass-murderers and the like.
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
The Price of Time
BLOG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group