PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manchester to get UK's largest geothermal plant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Geothermal Power and Heat Pumps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Manchester to get UK's largest geothermal plant Reply with quote

The UKs largest commercial, deep geothermal heat plant is to be built in Ardwick, Manchester, as part of plans unveiled last week by Anglo-Irish firm, GT Energy:
http://www.greenintelligence.org.uk/article/manchester-uk-largest-geothermal-plant
ujoni08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like geothermal. Very Happy

One thing I'd like to find out more about, is what effect removing heat from the Earth's mantle to the surface has. I'm thinking about the whole system, the magma, mantle, tectonic plates, etc. Anyone know anything about this? I'm guessing the amount we remove is small compared to what's being produced down there, or am I talking guano?
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that removing the heat leaves the rocks a bit cooler, and cooler, until the geothermal power station stops. You are taking heat out much faster than it is resupplied by conduction from the deeper regions and by radioactivity in the rocks, so it's not quite correct to say that it is a renewable energy. It just takes, in the right locations, rather a long time to run down.
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the same depth at which they're fracking next door in Lancashire, just the other side of the fault lines which divide the Pennines from the coastal plain.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC geothermal requires fracking to open up enough fissures in the rock to get good heat exchange Shocked
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
IIRC geothermal requires fracking to open up enough fissures in the rock to get good heat exchange Shocked

True, but with all that acid, heavy metals and other additives in the fracking fluid, any lateral movement of contaminants from shale gas production is gonna make a mess of the geothermal plant's pipework and heat exchangers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Geothermal Power and Heat Pumps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: