PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airlines in trouble
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Airlines in trouble Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19234661

This seems to be happening increasingly frequently, perhaps aviation has peaked.

Last edited by adam2 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, good, good.
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Good, good, good.

Schadenfreude.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentucky Fried Panda wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
Good, good, good.

Schadenfreude.

Somewhat opposite. Pleasure at seeing a gradual easing of the planet's misery.
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think removing one airline will actually help. Dream on.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was only one.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigerian officials want to make this megacity the air-transit hub of Africa. One problem: several of the country's airlines are en route to bankruptcy.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So those emails I get saying that a "gentleman" in Nigeria has millions of pounds to smuggle out of the country and he will share it with me if I help by giving him my bank details were true!!! And I thought they were a fraud. Think of all the money I've lost!! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it helps a little.
The closure of a single airline does make much difference, but every little helps.
Some of the routes run by by bust airlines will probably be taken over by competitors, but some will porobably close for good.
Peak oil=peak air travel.

If an air route is taken over by another airline it is likely that they will charge higher fares. If the bust airline went bust charging say 100, it is likely that the replacement will charge more in the hope of making a profit.
The higher fares will lead to fewer passengers and hopefully to smaller aircraft or a less frequent service, less fuel used.

If an air route closes as a result of an airline busting, then of course no aviation fuel is used on that route.
Some will drive instead, which uses almost as much fuel as flying, but others may go by rail or ship which uses less fuel, or stay at home which uses none.

Busineses go bust all the time as a result of declining demand, poor management, or simply bad luck.
Other busineses take their place.
In the case of air travel though, there seems to be a structurall change towards less air travel, rather simply replacing a failing airline with a more competitive one.

I cant see any descision being taken on a proposed additional London airport for some years, hopefully by then it will plain for all to see that it wont be needed.
Air travel wont vanish unless the world ends, but it may be at or near a peak.
SleeperService

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the number of flights decline that's good. The number of airlines is an indicator nothing more. Mind you I hope to see some big names fall to shock Joe and Joan Public. Unlike the last purge there won't be a full recovery followed by further expansion.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European airlines taken in total are said to be facing major financial losses this year, despite the heavy subsidies they're given (of course, 'burdensome regulations' are cited as one reason for lower profit Rolling Eyes ).
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airfares are up 21% in the UK in the latest inflation figures. That is by itself going to cut the number of passenger miles. Brent oil is up 25% in 7 weeks, and that rise won't have been factored in yet.

I haven't seen any numbers for total OECD pssenger miles recently, but I suspect any fall will be offset by rises in the rest of the world. Every gallon of jet fuel will get burnt, but not by us.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
Every gallon of jet fuel will get burnt, but not by us.

This is true.

Extraction of conventional oil is declining though, so there will be fewer of those gallons on the market.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airlines are always in trouble.....
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running on empty highlights where the aviation industry is heading

Quote:
This is all bad news for airlines that are already combatting high fuel prices. I expect to see a number of big name airlines fold or amalgamate in the next two years as financiers can no longer afford to prop up an industry that is hemorrhaging with no relief in sight. This could mean a reduced number of flights, less options of places to travel and skyrocketing ticket prices. While mother nature might thank us for the reduction in emissions the airline industry is running on empty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: