PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mine Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Geothermal Power and Heat Pumps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snail

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Mine Water Reply with quote

Just heard this on radio concerning old mines under Glasgow.

The mines have refilled with water which is being heated mostly from the sun and from below.

Expert reckoned this could provide about 40% of Glagow's space heating requirements for approx. 100 years.
Snail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really geothermal as heatpumps would have to be used. Expensive and high maintenance probably.
Snail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last comment has been annoying me all week. For completeness, I believe this is technically classed as geothermal even though the water's mostly heated from the sun (in the recent sense) rather than the earth's centre. And the heatpumps just use electricity to efficiently convert the heat stored in the water.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In years gone by "geothermal" was generaly understood to mean extracting heat from relatively deep underground at a high enough temperature to be directly used for space heating, or even to raise steam for electricity generation.

These days, geothermal is increasingly used to describe heat pump systems that use very low grade heat from near the surafce. A liitle of this heat presumably emerges from deep underground, but most is from sunlight and sun-warmed air on the surface.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously sceptical about any proposition involving the words "Glasgow" and "sun".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Geothermal Power and Heat Pumps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: