PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM foods story in papers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
woodburner wrote:

Anyone who eats other than organic bread should understand the wheat has probably been sprayed with glyphosate shortly before harvest to kill it in order to make harvesting easier.

From what a bit of research has shown me this is to be considered fake news. While it is sometimes done to save a crop that would otherwise rot in a field most of the wheat growing areas have dry enough weather around harvest time to make spraying the fields an unnecessary expense.
Fields that are sprayed have to sit several days before harvest so that no detectable residue remains on the seed berries.
What is true is that a lot fields are sprayed with roundup around planting time to achieve a weed free stand so that no weed seeds and plant parts get mixed in with the grain at harvest time which degrades the product and reduces the price the farmer gets for it at time of sale.
At any rate the claim that "MOST" wheat is sprayed just prior to harvest is false.

That may be true in the US but the weather in the UK is a lot different and there is a lot of "dessication" carried out in the UK to even out the moisture content of grain in a field.

Judging by the emerging reports of glyphosate residues in food, a couple of days between spraying and harvest might not be enough. In the UK that could be your dry weather window gone!

If that is the case I would not be surprised to see the practice banned in the UK for any grain destined for human consumption. They still have to dry it in the bins anyway so all they are saving is electricity for the fans and perhaps a bit of fuel if they are heating the air being blown through the grain.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can save a good amount of fuel for the drying process and as margins are so tight it's worth their while desiccating the crop.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
They can save a good amount of fuel for the drying process and as margins are so tight it's worth their while desiccating the crop.

Perhaps but I would like to look at the actual figures on that. Spraying a mature field is not cheap and the equipment has to roll down the crop in the wheel tracts reducing yield. That anybody does it indicates that it may be worthwhile in some instances but if it scandalizes the safety or value of the whole countries crop I think it will end soon.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no loss of crop because our farmers use tramlines in the crop and all the equipment is designed to run in the same tramlines. Very few people know that their food is sprayed with a poison just before it is harvested because Monsanto and the farmers are very careful to avoid telling them. That's why they call it dessication and why they use a "dessicant" rather than a "weedkiller" or "herbicide". Dessicant sounds much better.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I had posted on Facebook about the court action and got trolled by two or three people after only a couple of days. It was a few days before I realised that something was up and it was Facebook which actually marked one of the posters as spam before I checked who they were. They weren't in any way connected to me or any of my friends so it made me wonder where they had come from so I blocked them. I was amazed that they bother to go to all that trouble to have a go at someone in another country. The one whose posts were marked as spam was from Australia.

Trolling is relatively cheap for these mega-corporations; the world is full of people who rely on unethical, unscrupulous activities to earn money. If they suddenly get moral, there is always another person out there to fill their shoes.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
At any rate the claim that "MOST" wheat is sprayed just prior to harvest is false.

The principle is the same. Do not knowingly encourage chemical companies - or farmers who do not disavow using chemical companies - in any shape or form.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read

Quote:
These corporations have successfully instituted the notion that the mass application of biocides, monocropping and industrial agriculture are necessary and desirable.

Some useful links in that article.
woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you listen to the GM proponents it all sounds so plausible. Episode 7 of GMOs Revealed.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

The principle is the same. Do not knowingly encourage chemical companies - or farmers who do not disavow using chemical companies - in any shape or form.

Do not presume to tell me what I can or can not say.
Out of the 729 million metric tonnes of wheat produced worldwide in 2014 the United Kingdom accounted for just 16.6 million metric tonnes.
so the actions of some misguided UK farmers do not account for what happens with "Most wheat".
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Episode 7 of GMOs Revealed.

Hey, thanks for reminding me wb. I have that series on my list of to-dos.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

Do not presume to tell me what I can or can not say.

I'm not. It was a general statement of principle.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
woodburner wrote:

Afraid you have missed all episodes you have not watched as they aren't available any longer. Only Episode 9 until 0100 tomorrow. They may be repeated in a few weeks as they did with Vaccines Revealed.

You can buy the series and transcripts, with hard copies if you want, and Episode may still be available on youtube.

There are several references to how diabetes, cancer, auto-immune diseases, obesity all correlate with the increase in the use of Roundup.

Robert Saik is a supporter of Glyphosate and GMO crops, his take is that all the above diseases or conditions have increased at the same time people have increased their consumption of organic crops, so it's their fault for eating the wrong stuff. This doesn't quite explain why there were not large number of cases prior to 1935 when almost all food was organic.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
woodburner wrote:

Afraid you have missed all episodes you have not watched as they aren't available any longer. Only Episode 9 until 0100 tomorrow. They may be repeated in a few weeks as they did with Vaccines Revealed.

You can buy the series and transcripts, with hard copies if you want, and Episode may still be available on youtube.

There are several references to how diabetes, cancer, auto-immune diseases, obesity all correlate with the increase in the use of Roundup.

Robert Saik is a supporter of Glyphosate and GMO crops, his take is that all the above diseases or conditions have increased at the same time people have increased their consumption of organic crops, so it's their fault for eating the wrong stuff. This doesn't quite explain why there were not large number of cases prior to 1935 when almost all food was organic.

Just watched the first episode on YouTube. I wish I hadn't. Zach Bush is obviously very well-informed and the only one worth listening to, really - but all three speakers use 10 words where 1 will do.

Not a good start unless you happen to love garrulous Americans.

If/as the other episodes appear on YouTube, I'll give it another chance. Embarassed
plotter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a lurker for a few years I would like to thank woodburner for the original link. I thought I knew how bad things were with Glyphosate and Monsanto, I was very wrong. The good thing that I learnt from the series was that the way our bodies function is more astounding than I thought. The rest was mostly bad but I like to know this stuff.
Emordilap, the first episodes include what is basically promotion for the sponsors. If you can find the episodes anywhere then number 8 with Dr Stephanie Seneff from MIT is in my opinion the one most worth seeing, genuine scientific research funded by a computer company.
Thanks again.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful info., plotter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: