PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frozen wine!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Frozen wine!! Reply with quote

I absentmindedly left a bottle of wine in my truck overnight which was down to 10deg F. This afternoon the bottle was frozen solid but the glass was not broken. I set it inside on the basement floor in case it decided to pop and went on the errand of the day. While I was gone the bottle popped it's cork with the bulk of the wine still frozen. Now it has completely thawed and I stuck another cork in it. I haven't sampled it yet. It's just a 1.5 liter white Zinfandel and for $10.00 no great loss. Any thoughts on what it will taste like?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that it will be fine.
A wine snob might be able to detect some subtle change, but for everyday drinking I would not worry. I would consume it fairly soon in case the popping of the cork has admitted bacteria that will in time cause it to spoil.

BTW, the freezing of wine in a large flat container, rather than in a narrow necked bottle is a way of producing brandy. Let about half the volume freeze and then remove and discard the ice which is almost pure water.
The remaining liquid is now about twice as strong. Repeat as desired.

The main objection to this is the amount of electricity used by a freezer, but if you have outside temperatures that are low enough then it becomes more attractive.
The process is unlikely to be viable with purchased wine, but if you have a surplus of home made fruit wine might be worthwhile.

"freeze distillation" is illegal in most places, but a lot easier to conceal than a still. You cant build and operate a still by mistake, but might accidently leave an open topped cask of home made wine in an unheated outbuilding.
Radnice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me as well. The wine was not tasting super bad but you could tell that it's not like how it was supposed to be. It lost some flavor.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shake well to remix the alcohol and water? Rather than stirring of course.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Shake well to remix the alcohol and water? Rather than stirring of course.
Yes mister Bond.
I went full red neck this morning and breakfasted on venison, mushrooms ,onions and rice and washed it down with some of the thawed wine. The wine was perhaps a little flat but my uneducated beer drinkers pallet had no problem with it.
In fashhh it scheems too tahesh pressey darn good! Cool
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the holidays I consumed some cider that had accidentally frozen, I think that the ice from the top of the bucket was accidently discarded Wink
I suppose that this might have happened more than once.
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

I'm saying nowt....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: