PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organic Bhutan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Organic Bhutan Reply with quote

Bhutan aims to be 100% organic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/bhutan-organic-farming-chemicals-fertilizers-pesticides_n_1940029.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Food

Quote:
The small Asian country of Bhutan is going organic.

AFP reported that the nation, where the majority of citizens are Buddhist, is aiming to phase out chemicals from its farming during the next decade.

"Bhutan has decided to go for a green economy in light of the tremendous pressure we are exerting on the planet," Bhutan Agriculture Minister Pema Gyamtsho told AFP. "If you go for very intensive agriculture it would imply the use of so many chemicals, which is not in keeping with our belief in Buddhism, which calls for us to live in harmony with nature."

Jigmi Thinley, Bhutan's prime minister, said at a Rio+20 Conference on Sustainable Development earlier this year that he wants to make "the 'raised in Bhutan' label synonymous with 'organically grown,'" according to Rodale.

RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be ironic if the world's most obviously pacifist country ended up emerging from some kind of GM-apocalypse as the sole survivors Very Happy
Catweazle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if the world's most obviously pacifist country ended up emerging from some kind of GM-apocalypse as the sole survivors Very Happy

A bit like one of those old Star Trek episodes where they discover a planet that has rejected technology for an idyllic agrarian lifestyle and all the people spend the day laughing and carrying around baskets of fruit.

Doesn't sound likely.
JohnB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
A bit like one of those old Star Trek episodes where they discover a planet that has rejected technology for an idyllic agrarian lifestyle and all the people spend the day laughing and carrying around baskets of fruit.

Doesn't sound likely.

But we don't have a Prime Directive to follow, and there's usually some force controlling or protecting them that causes mayhem.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
stumuzz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:

But we don't have a Prime Directive to follow, and there's usually some force controlling or protecting them that causes mayhem.

For those of us who spent most of our time outdoors as children ( 70s) what do you mean? Very Happy
JohnB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumuzz wrote:
JohnB wrote:

For those of us who spent most of our time outdoors as children ( 70s) what do you mean? Very Happy

Plenty of cheap Star Trek DVDs available on DODGY TAX AVOIDERS, if you want to catch up Very Happy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

stumuzz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

As in the 1970's I will be too busy doing stuff to watch.
In fact my wife often takes the p**s out of me because when star wars first came out i watched the first 20 mins at the local cinema, got completely bored and asked the usherette if i could go upstairs and watch Herbie rides again! Far easier to understand.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Organic Bhutan Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Bhutan aims to be 100% organic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/bhutan-organic-farming-chemicals-fertilizers-pesticides_n_1940029.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Food

I know little about Bhutan, but the news articles published about it recently seem to be positive, such as measuring standards of living by happiness rather than money. I wish them the best of luck with the organic route. They're ahead of the pack, probably have been for a while on the organic front; I believe they banned the battery farming of AVOID SCAMMERS some time ago.

The slide show at the bottom of the article is...thin on specifics. Shame on Huffington.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Organic Bhutan Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:

I know little about Bhutan,

I guess that goes for most of us, but it really is a fascinating place. The ex-king who introduced the Gross National Happiness measure as a replacement for GNP was really on to something. And he voluntarily de-crowned himself.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The happiest place.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhutan's prime minister addresses the UN on 28th September 2012.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another area where they don't follow the crowd: religion should be 'above' politics.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/biodiversity-funding-doubled-enough-change

Quote:
In Bhutan, biodiversity is everywhere around you, abundant and healthy. People love it and respect it. This is the kind of world that all those Aichi Targets seek to achieve, and it lives here for all to see.

Bhutan doesn't have billions of dollars to finance this biodiversity conservation. Instead, it is ingrained in the culture and history of the land. The country's constitution commits 60% of Bhutan to forest cover. At the conference, Lyonpo Dr Pema Gyamtsho, Bhutan's agriculture and forests minister, said: "There can be no justice unless other living beings have equal rights of existence on this planet."

We often hear of rights-based approaches to biodiversity conservation, but in Bhutan this is not just dreamy talk it is visible reality.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The weather pattern in Bhutan has also become more unpredictable and extreme over recent years. Farmers are losing their harvest due to untimely rain, and every winter we see less ice and snow covering the rocks. Children in local schools talk about how their parents are finding it hard to judge the weather so they can plant their crops and how snow in winter is no longer enough to build a snowman. Such fun winter past-times might soon be the last of their concerns; as temperatures increase in the south of the country we have seen a rise in malaria and dengue fever, with cases of both diseases reported in areas that were previously risk free.

More here.
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The weather pattern in Bhutan has also become more unpredictable and extreme over recent years. Farmers are losing their harvest due to untimely rain

There's a solution to that - Globalisation and GM. Of course not ******* up the planet is a better solution, but where's the profit in that? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: