PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets have a low impact Christmas !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisdevie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Christmas lights - don't have any

2) Dont overdo the heating - one coal fire here

3) Minimise the use of disposable batteries for kids toys or christmas lighting. Consider rechargeables, mains adaptors or non electric alternatives - always use rechargeables, mainly charged from solar.

4) Avoid food waste. - never throw away food.

5) minimise non-reusable wrapping materialsm- not wrapped a single present.

6) If you have a real Christmas tree - don't have a tree

7) Do keep reusable decorations for subsequent years - don't have decorations
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have blown that one out of the water already. No decorations beyond the tree but drove three hours each way to the Sister-in-laws Christmas party and have one Daughter flying in from Atlanta this Saturday.
I do try to make all the gifts I buy truly useful and long lasting but find that increasingly difficult for the younger children.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck ‘christmas’.

I wish everyone a peaceful and hopeful turning of the year during this winter solstice.

I always give a donation to an animal charity to mark this event and that is it. Not even the better half gets a ‘christmas’ present.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Feck ‘christmas’.

I wish everyone a peaceful and hopeful turning of the year during this winter solstice.

I always give a donation to an animal charity to mark this event and that is it. Not even the better half gets a ‘christmas’ present.
Aye. On the present front, we are the same. We give each other presents when the mood takes us and when someone asks for help in getting something.

Christmas, for us, is about getting together, having a party, getting pissed, playing cards for money, falling out over who's won and then falling back in again.

Most of all, it is about love and family.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
Feck ‘christmas’.

Aye. On the present front, we are the same. We give each other presents when the mood takes us and when someone asks for help in getting something.

Christmas, for us, is about getting together, having a party, getting pissed, playing cards for money, falling out over who's won and then falling back in again.

Most of all, it is about love and family.

That too, yes.

I do try to make people aware in my own irascible way of why we celebrate around this time - religion hijacked so many quite sensible markers in a year.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
religion hijacked so many quite sensible markers in a year.

That's because the priest found they could get the pagans to give up the old gods but not if they had to give up the holidays at the same time.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the tail end of a radio 4 programme with a report about hiring Christmas trees. I didn't hear the name of the company involved but they will bring a live tree to your home and remove it at the end of Christmas for it to continue to grow in its pot before being delivered again to someone's home in twelve months time. I frankly couldn't see the point , even having the tree set up by some paid lackey seems to remove a family element from Christmas not to mention the stresses on the tree itself and all the extra diesel used in the delivering and collecting .
As I say I don't know the name of the company but a quick google brings up a number who offer this "service" , just as examples, I have nothing to do with these companies,
https://www.xmasdirect.co.uk/real-trees/real-tree-hire
Or http://www.ambius.co.uk/christmas-decorations-and-displays/christmas-tree-hire/
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fine for those simpletons who think cutting a Christmas tree contributes to rain forest deforestation.
I and the growers look at them as a crop that takes ten years to grow. The tree farms around me are continuous operations which are getting a good profit from land unsuited for anything else. The growing trees provide considerable habitat for a great variety of wildlife.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed , plus I was always under the impression that a growing sapling will absorb more co2 than a mature tree at least proportional to the size although I suppose that's released a decade later when the unwanted tree is burnt or composed afterwards..
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course a lot of pine trees are grown for construction timber.
As they grow, the tree crop must be thinned to allow selected examples to grow to a good size.
The smaller "rejected" trees are often sold as Christmas trees.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One figure I came across was that an acre of growing Christmas trees puts out enough oxygen for eighteen adult humans. Smile
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
And of course a lot of pine trees are grown for construction timber.
As they grow, the tree crop must be thinned to allow selected examples to grow to a good size.
The smaller "rejected" trees are often sold as Christmas trees.

Balsam fir (the most popular Xmas tree) like wet boggy ground while most of the pines prefer well drained soil often growing above sand and gravel deposits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: