PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My planning inquiry submission
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: My planning inquiry submission Reply with quote

My submission to the Gayton-le-Marsh Windfarm Planning Inquiry.

Discussion relating to the planning of windfarm locations often focuses on the landscape and the perceived detriment caused by the appearance of turbines. Aesthetics is said to be a matter of subjective opinion, not open to rational argument, not a matter of right or wrong. People’s opinions have to be taken at face value and included in the planning consideration.

However, aesthetics is not an immutable given. It is the product of psychology, governed by our experience, knowledge and understanding. Those of us who value nature and resent the intrusion of the man-made, who long for wilderness and care little for the use of electricity and, most importantly, do not make the connection between action today and survival of future generations, are likely to view wind turbines as a blot on the landscape. They will regard them as ugly and will seek to oppose them by using any and all argument that they come by irrespective of any facts. Aesthetics trumps the rational. That is the human condition.

On the other hand, those of us who have a deep understanding of earth system science, who know what dangers global warming will bring to the current generation and fear for the very survival of our grandchildren, will see in a wind turbine a symbol of hope and of optimism. We see elegance in the laws of physics that require the exquisite form of the turbine blade, a product at the pinnacle of our engineering skill. We understand the connection between technology and a survivable future. We are helpless and can do nothing but react with awe at the beauty of the windfarm.

The dynamics of the sweeping curves show to us that mankind is capable of acting in favour of the yet unborn. And that is the most beautiful aspect of the human condition.

We have to trust that this inquiry will take aesthetics into account and find in favour of this application to build a windfarm.
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to know what response that gets. It seems like a good approach, tackling the main opposition head on,

Peter.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know in April. Interesting process - everything is gone through in the utmost detail - an 8-day inquiry. I was just there for one morning, listening to an acoustics expert being cross examined down to the last decibel to ensure compliance. Then a series of speeches by the public, including mine which was the only pro-wind statement. The level of vitriol and hatred was remarkable and tragically sad that these people have such sincerely held beliefs. I feel quite sorry for them.
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Then a series of speeches by the public, including mine which was the only pro-wind statement. The level of vitriol and hatred was remarkable and tragically sad that these people have such sincerely held beliefs. I feel quite sorry for them.

As a matter of interest, what age ranges would you put the public who spoke in (you can omit yourself, of course Wink ),

Peter.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter wrote:

As a matter of interest, what age ranges would you put the public who spoke in (you can omit yourself, of course Wink ),

Peter.

That's an interesting one. Apart from a couple of people from the Windfarm company and a couple of council officials doing the secretarial stuff, I doubt whether there was a single person below the age of 60 in the room.

I didn't ask them whether they had grandchildren.

I've updated my blog, to include the note to the Inspector complaining of slander and my conclusion, which leads up a Dark Mountain, on my blog at http://biffvernon.blogspot.co.uk/
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with that Biff. I'll keep in mind the age range that you quoted for future reference: might be useful.
ujoni08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man, Biff.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Apart from a couple of people from the Windfarm company and a couple of council officials doing the secretarial stuff, I doubt whether there was a single person below the age of 60 in the room.

You don't have to. They'll all die before we do and with a bit of luck if there are grandchildren they'll have more sense.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
.... They'll all die before we do ...

Speak for yourself, Candy! Some of us are in that age range ourselves although we are looking forward with preparations for our grandchildren's lives.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but part of my point is that you're in better shape than they are (and you don't have a mind full of petty grudges), so even if they're your contemporaries, you'll still outlive them.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more hopeful over the mental bit than the physical one, personally.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They do say" that that's the bit that makes the real difference. As long as nothing stupid happens to Greenham Common, you're sitting pretty.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's protected by an Act of Parliament which says that it should be used for nature conservation and public recreation with the rights of commoners protected. The nature conservation at the moment seems to mean letting it be overrun with gorse and rabbits which would lead to the most likely way that it will be destroyed; by lightening strike or a smoker dropping a fag or match during a dry spell (a what????) sending the gorse up in flames

There was a suggestion in the local paper last week that it should be covered in solar panels to stop climate change. That won't get anywhere without another Act of Parliament rescinding the present one.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
There was a suggestion in the local paper last week that it should be covered in solar panels to stop climate change. That
is a terrible idea! You'd damage them when you were out shooting rabbits...
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
biffvernon wrote:
Apart from a couple of people from the Windfarm company and a couple of council officials doing the secretarial stuff, I doubt whether there was a single person below the age of 60 in the room.

You don't have to. They'll all die before we do and with a bit of luck if there are grandchildren they'll have more sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-21333348
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: