PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end of nuclear power?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

The owners give both reasons in support of their proposed plan.

A better reason might be that the owners will be dead by then and it will be someone else's problem. That's kinda how the system works.

Meanwhile, there's trouble at Chernobyl's neighbour:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-turns-off-reactor-at-nuclear-plant-after-accident-9947540.html

Corporate "persons" don't age and die like the rest of us but I take your point. It certainly will be a continuing effort to do whatever gets done with someone elses money. Wink
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually radio active half-lives aside I am not too awfully concerned with the decommissioning. The more immediate concern is the loss of generating capacity. There has been the fiction that the power produced at VY was sold out of state for the last several years but that occurs more on paper then in the wires. The plant produced about a third of Vermont's consumption and replacement power will have to come in over considerable distance. The state is critically under served by natural gas pipelines so quickly building NG powered generation plants is not a viable option. The plant was down on a regular basis so other plants are available to pick up the slack but there is that much less reserve in the system . Knock off a couple of other plants from mechanical breakdowns and the grid could be under supplied and vulnerable to cascading collapse.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Meanwhile back at the ranch!
Vermont's only nuclear power plant shuts down permanently this week.
This will leave a 640 megawatt hole in New England's generating capacity and puts 230 people out of work at an average of $110K per year each.

Some places are doing well
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear power is not 'low carbon'

This is something most of us here instinctively knew but Keith Barnham's meta-analysis confirms it. It demolishes the sole remaining piece of greenwash used to defend nuclear. Well worth reading.

Quote:
Greenhouse gases are emitted in all stages of the lifecycle of a nuclear reactor: construction, operation, fuel production, dismantling and waste disposal. Leaving out any of these five stages will bias estimates towards lower values.

The last two contributions, dismantling and waste disposal are particularly difficult to estimate. Not many commercial reactors have been fully decommissioned. Also there is still no scientific or political consensus on the approach to be used for the long-term storage of waste.

The fuel preparation contribution is also problematic. Considerable amounts of carbon are released in the mining, milling and separation of the uranium from the ore. Also the carbon emitted is very dependent on the concentration of uranium in the ore.

It's important to appreciate that these three problematic contributions, fuel production, dismantling and waste disposal are either non-existent or small contributions in the case of electricity generation by renewable technologies. Estimates of the carbon footprint of renewably generated electricity therefore should be much more reliable than those for nuclear.

Quote:
The contract will commit the UK public to paying heavy subsidies and may be signed before it is known if the prototype works or what its environmental impact will be. This would be engineering, investment and, possibly, political stupidity.

clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Nuclear power is not 'low carbon'

I don't agree with this. Whether it's 6g, or 50g/kWh is irrelevant whilst coal is our largest source of electricity and produces 900g! The fact is that nuclear is of a similar order as renewables and at least an order of magnitude less than the prevailing fossil fuel electricity. That in my mind earns it low carbon status. There are many reasons not to build any more nuclear power stations, many are good, but CO2 is not one of them in my opinion.

I think folk arguing against nuclear on CO2 grounds are letting ideology get in the way of the facts.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With our present knowledge, yes, it compares well CO2-wise to coal at the point of use. But with respect Chris, that's not really the objective of the article, is it? Supporters of nuclear are really the ones selective with the facts.

Firstly, it's the biggest argument on the environmental front used by nuclear proponents and the article shows it's wrong. Obviously, they have so little to offer they have to big this one up.

Secondly, we don't know the true CO2 burden imposed by nuclear because the full life-cycle has never been analysed - there are no real examples. Who knows what the true environmental cost of disposal of waste is going to be?
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letter from Dr Becky Martin to Bryony Worthington.

Quote:
I watched on in horror as you championed the removal of local authoritys right to decide over the disposal of nuclear waste in their communities. I didnt know who you were at the time, and your position of the matter left me thinking perhaps you were a stakeholder in some nuclear power supply chain company.

I was dismayed to learn that you used to be a key member of Friends of the Earth. Further research shows that you have a background in environmentalism and appear on the surface to be concerned with climate change.

Source
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accidents, waste and weapons: nuclear power isnt worth the risks

https://theconversation.com/accidents-waste-and-weapons-nuclear-power-isnt-worth-the-risks-41522?utm_source=Daily+Carbon+Briefing&utm_campaign=33c0586c9c-cb_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_876aab4fd7-33c0586c9c-303431749
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldNuclear Industry Status Report 2015
http://www.worldnuclearreport.org/IMG/pdf/20150715wnisr2015-v1-lr.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: