PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power station to convert back to coal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catweazle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Power station to convert back to coal Reply with quote

A little bird tells me that Tilbury power station, currently co-fired biomass and oil, is converting to burn coal.

The word in the power station is that we can expect power cuts by 2015 and will need to import the vast majority of our electricity.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Power station to convert back to coal Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
The word in the power station is that we can expect power cuts by 2015 and will need to import the vast majority of our electricity.

I gave a presentation in 2005 saying power cuts were likely as a function of the LCPD closures, nuclear decommission, North Sea gas depletion and slow renewable rollout. Eight years later, it's remarkable how little has happened to change this assessment.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I also remember Matt Savinar being interviewed by Jon Snow on C4 news one night that autumn saying he reckoned power cuts would start "this win(t)er" (yes I can still remember his accent!) but they didn't materialise then, which I think has put everybody (back) to sleep.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-23433226

New biomass power station approved.

Still, it is increasing the UK generating capacity, even if we have to ship in the virgin forest biomass from Canada or Sweden.
Rolling Eyes
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Biomass' (what a polite word) is weasely as bad as coal, which at least occasionally has the small merit of being dug out from underground. There, that's enough apologies for coal.

I don't know the figures but let me guess - CO2 emissions are much worse from a 'biomass'-fired power station than a coal-fired one, per unit of usable energy delivered.

Never mind more trees get planted. They take a long time to grow. And I can see more people displaced and their land and water stolen for mono crop trees in the likes of Africa. Not to mention the potential for Monsatan.

So there you go: either cut your energy use down to the bone or do your bit to fck up the planet; your choice. Which type are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: