PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drought Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fille is in Oklahoma. She's been there since last August.

It has rained, in all that time, on 2 (two) days. And that was drizzle that didn't last very long.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Fille is in Oklahoma. She's been there since last August.

It has rained, in all that time, on 2 (two) days. And that was drizzle that didn't last very long.

For the times they are a changing!

For "times" read climate! Not that Trump would recognise that. As far as he is concerned, more false news!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of India is affected by drought with some areas reliant on water tankers.
Many wells have dried up and others yield water of doubtful quality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48674775

Looks to me like a mixture of climate change, overpopulation, and poor planning.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked a couple pf projects that used directional boring and HDPE plastic pipe to good effect. One project installed a mile long system of four inch pipe that crossed under all streets without cutting any pavement and each house connection required only an eight foot square pit in the lawn. Historic and ornamental trees and shrubs were bored under without any disturbance to their roots. On another project six inch pipe was bored under wetlands and existing drainage culverts without the need for wetland mitigation permits or measures.
If bedrock or rock fill is not present this can be a way to install a modern leak free system without subjecting the neighborhood to a summer of excavation and repair with all the attendant dust and disruption. Pipe sizes up to and beyond one meter in diameter can be installed with the right equipment. The units I was working with could handle 18 inch pipe if needed.
Of course bedrock is a no go so when I replaced 1000 feet of my own water line I open cut all of it as the bedrock was never more then three feet down. You have to match your solution to the actual field conditions.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

India’s ground water problem is decades old. Ground water levels are now at least tens of metres below ground level.

more...........
even more.........

BBC - not news again
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that in some parts of Northern India the wells have to be redug as the water table is falling every year sometimes by several metres. A case of drill-baby-drill perhaps?

Overpopulation is indeed part of the problem but India's total fertility rate of 2.33 has fallen a lot and is still falling. I understand they have a big problem with illegal immigration from Bangladesh.

I am not certain all of it is due to climate change. More classic over exploitation of underground water resources that are slow to replenish. I think parts of the US had the same problem with the Oglalla aquifer and may still do.

On a personal note my water tanks in Australia are nearly empty, partly due to my working away and neglecting the irrigation system and partly due to a drought here as well. I understand that Sydney people can only water their gardens at certain times of the day or certain days of the week due to reservoirs falling below 50% levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: