PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

snowden watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Greenwald, this one about a past inmate of Guantanamo (never charged with anything) and his continued persecution by the British and American regimes.

This is terrific reporting. Pilger has an heir.

Quote:
Begg has long been a vituperative critic of the British governments conduct during the War on Terror but throughout this time he has always been a public figure under constant media and government scrutiny. The notion that hed be able to engage in terrorism surreptitiously on a trip sanctioned by MI5 then hide this for over a year seems dubious in the extreme.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish MEP Paul Murphy wrote:
Edward Snowdens sharp analysis and criticism of the NSA mass surveillance can no longer be met without any serious response from US and EU Member State governments. There should be an immediate end to all mass surveillance programmes. There is no justification to keep on spying on ordinary citizens. I could not agree more with Edward Snowden when he says Mass surveillances violates our rights, risks our safety and threatens our way of life.

Source

Murphy is calling on the EU to grant asylum to Snowden.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NSA (No Secrets Anymore) is poised to infiltrate peoples' computers anywhere and everywhere.

Quote:
These implants, the journalists wrote, allow the NSA to break into targeted computers and to siphon out data from foreign Internet and phone networks. They can also be combined with a number of specialized plugins to provide analysts with additional surveillance options, the likes of which could likely leave many thinking staying secure on the Web seem impossible
Quote:
If we can get the target to visit us in some sort of web browser, we can probably own them, an NSA employee wrote in one of the previously secret documents. The only limitation is the how.

Source

And guess what, Steve Wozniak of Apple and a certain multi-billionaire promoter of crap software have opposing views on Snowden. Funny, that.

Quote:
Wozniak, a strong believer in freedom and the spirit of the Constitution, felt Snowden should be allowed to return to his country.
Quote:
You wont find much admiration from me, Gates said, adding he thinks there should be some Government surveillance powers on the internet, and that Snowdens actions had compromised those capabilities.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange Gives All Of Its Data To Frances NSA

Quote:
in France, convenience comes first, privacy second.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Snowden in a TED talk. Interviewed by Chris Anderson and featuring Tim Berners-Lee.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This House Would Call Edward Snowden A Hero"

Chris Hedges argues in favour of the resolution - at the Oxford Union debate
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see this
Quote:
Obama Spy Drama
"I'm prying and peeking,
To block Wiki-Leaking,
I'm legal maneuvering,
J. Edgar Hoovering...
I'm sifting and panning,
To find Bradley Manning,
I'm searching for rodents,
Like that rat Edward Snowden."

emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The New York Times reported today that the White House will ask Congress to end the National Security Agency's open-ended collection of data about Americans' calling habits. Under the proposal, the bulk records would stay in the hands of phone companies, which would not be required to retain the data for any longer than they normally would. The NSA could seize specific records only with a judge's permission.

It's an important step, but Obama still must show he can be transparent, trusted, and effective. Will he be better about revealing and explaining the administration's national security methods?

Will his administration stop parsing, deceiving, and lying unnecessarily about intelligence programs? Will the worst offenders (read: James Clapper) be held accountable?

We already know the answers to these questions.

Source
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem.
Quote:
Alas, for a handful of reasons, the presidents improvements are not overly encouraging.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, the number of documents that Edward Snowden has made available to the public is zero. What he did is give information to journalists, with the instruction that they and their editors, in consultation, where necessary, with government officials, decide what was in the public interest to publish, and to withhold information that would be harmful to publish.

Excellent article, clarifying some important points.

Source
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Der Spiegel article

Quote:
Under review at the moment are allegations that the NSA monitored the chancellor's mobile phone and also conducted mass surveillance on the communications of millions of Germans.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo turns on encryption between data centres

Quote:
Last month, another leak of documents said that GCHQ, Britain's surveillance agency, had captured webcam images from more than 1.8 million users of Yahoo's Messenger product.

Yahoo said Wednesday that a new, encrypted version of Messenger would be rolled out in the coming months.

It said it was also working to bring more enhanced forms of encryption like Perfect Forward Secrecy, which is already supported for global properties like the homepage, to all of its sites.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US secretly created 'Cuban twitter' to stir unrest

Quote:
At its peak, the project drew in more than 40,000 Cubans to share news and exchange opinions. But its subscribers were never aware it was created by the U.S. government, or that American contractors were gathering their private data in the hope that it might be used for political purposes.

"There will be absolutely no mention of United States government involvement," according to a 2010 memo from Mobile Accord, one of the project's contractors. "This is absolutely crucial for the long-term success of the service and to ensure the success of the Mission."

More proof that the US can't do subtlety (amongst other things).
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
US secretly created 'Cuban twitter' to stir unrest

Quote:
At its peak, the project drew in more than 40,000 Cubans to share news and exchange opinions. But its subscribers were never aware it was created by the U.S. government, or that American contractors were gathering their private data in the hope that it might be used for political purposes.

"There will be absolutely no mention of United States government involvement," according to a 2010 memo from Mobile Accord, one of the project's contractors. "This is absolutely crucial for the long-term success of the service and to ensure the success of the Mission."

More proof that the US can't do subtlety (amongst other things).
You could say the the US government is treating the privacy rights of Cuban citizens exactly the same as they are treating US citizens. Evil or Very Mad
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point!

And don't they hate it when they're foiled Smile ?

Quote:
US officials on Friday slammed plans to construct an EU-centric communication system, designed to prevent emails and phone calls from being swept up by the NSA, warning that such a move is a violation of trade laws.

Calling Europes proposal to build its own integrated communication system draconian
makes me laugh rather a lot Laughing

http://rt.com/news/us-europe-nsa-snowden-549/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: