PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TTIP including TTP, CETA & TiSA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the above posts, Em.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Thanks for the above posts, Em.

The 98% have no idea how bad these treaties are. We here are part of the other quarter per-cent, I think.

These 'agreements', 'partnerships', 'accords', understandings' etc (when such bland words are used, they usually carry their opposite meaning) are the latest pathetic attempts to keep alive the Frankenstein that is capitalism.

"Competitiveness" is the tediously favoured and, again, unthreatening word - yet it's the excuse for wage stagnation, stealing of public assets, welfare abolition, destruction of workers' rights, expansion of 'intellectual property' (!), militarisation and general exploitation of humans, animals and the environment, for the enrichment of very few.

Just take a look at the EU's desperate attempt to sell the TTiP. We are being sold out, lock, stock and barrel and TTiP/TiSA should be thrown out completely.

Quote:
Democratic control of the TTIP negotiations is particularly strong at the end of the process when the text negotiated by the Commission has to be approved by the EU's Member States in the Council and ratified by the European Parliament.

And this means 'approving'. The biggie, the investor/state dispute resolution clause, cannot be omitted or changed in any way.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hilary of War on Want talks to RT.

Quote:
so if people really could see line by line what is being negotiated away behind closed doors, than there will be a revolution on the streets.

I doubt it, but I know what he's saying.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day of Action on Saturday 30th: 38Degrees have the details.
Mr. Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EU lawmakers are threatening to block a multi-billion dollar trade pact between Canada and the European Union a blueprint for a much bigger EU-U.S. deal because it would allow firms to sue governments if they breach the treaty.

---8<-----8<---

Tiziana Beghin, an EU lawmaker from Italy's anti-establishment 5-Star Movement who sits on the parliament's influential trade committee, called the EU-Canada deal an "affront to democracy".

"Giving corporations the right to sue governments for loss of anticipated profit would be ridiculous if it were not so dangerous," she told Reuters.

cbc.ca
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all about the TPP

Quote:
CAFTA has allowed [...] corporations like Monsanto have power to sue small countries that dont want their products, and will see that power increased in the TPP.

RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An IT expert weighs in http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2014/05/ttip-update-xxiv/index.htm

Quote:
Part of the problem is that there is strikingly little research into the benefits and costs of TTIP. That's truly extraordinary: no one would think of setting up a business without investigating both exhaustively, by trying to forecast the outcome of various alternatives. And yet the European Commission wants us to buy into the largest global trade agreement ever attempted with far less research or justification than most of us would need before even buying a second-hand car.

Quote:
...perhaps the biggest flaw in the European Commission's argument that TTIP will bring huge benefits [is] the fact that the corresponding costs are not calculated to allow an overall balance to be drawn. Again, it is extraordinary that the Commission is asking people to support TAFTA without revealing the costs that are likely to be involved.

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about the TTIP and the European Commission the more convinced I am that Fascists have taken over the government of Europe. It is a state run by bureaucrats for their own benefit and that of the Corporations who pay them off. Hitler and friends would have been proud.
another_exlurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
The more I read about the TTIP and the European Commission the more convinced I am that Fascists have taken over the government of Europe. It is a state run by bureaucrats for their own benefit and that of the Corporations who pay them off. Hitler and friends would have been proud.

Probably not Hitler (he was to fascism what Stalin was to communism), but Mussolini would probably recognise the TTIP as part of a larger, non-military dictatorship, corporatist fascism.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, but I don't think it'll make the streets safer or the trains run on time...
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest shenanigans from the EU:

http://stop-ttip.org/eu-commission-wants-to-wipe-out-citizens-involvement-in-ttip-and-ceta/
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reply from my MP today. He's still under the impression that the NHS (and other things like prisons and wotnot) can be "excluded" from the TTIP and *still* thinks it'll be "good for jobs". Rolling Eyes

But we all know that exclusions from the ISDS can later be bypassed, because that nice Mr Moody of IT has located the relevant paragraphs for us.
Quote:
Certification is a legally binding obligation on the US President. The President withholds formal written notification to another party to a trade agreement that the US has satisfied its domestic approval processes until the US certifies the other party has altered that partys domestic laws and policies to satisfy US expectations of what is needed to comply with the TPPA [and also TTIP].

The US officials transmit a list of the changes to the other countrys domestic laws and policies that the US government requires before it will allow the pact to go into force. US government officials then monitor compliance, and pressure the government of the trade partner country to alter its laws and policies until they satisfy the US view of the changes required.

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article shows just how much in hoc to the corporations the US government is. Their negotiating position is just what the corporations want: no regulation at all. We've seen what no regulation can do and it looks like the pollution of Russia and China under communism and the Banking crash of recent memory.

If the EU accepts this it will also show just what a Fascist organisation it is. It seems we are all being governed by bureaucrats for the benefit of large corporations and their masters.
another_exlurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
We are all being governed by bureaucrats for the benefit of large corporations and their masters.

There, fixed that sentence for you. Wink
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Have a quick read of Golem here. Some general thoughts (talking about the future, that's the best you can do) which are probably fairly accurate.

Quote:
When Obama spoke of change, he meant it. Just not primarily for you. The 1% are not stupid. They see the need for change and intend to control it.

I think one of the cleverset things the 1% have done over the last few years is the way they have created a relentlless public discourse, via their paid political front-men and women and their media empires, to insist on the need to fix and protect the system, and the extreme danger to us all should the system not be saved. This has served as a perfect cover for making sure that not enough people have noticed that the system is, in fact, being gutted and replaced by something that better serves the interests of the 1%.

Then read part two, A manifesto for the supremacy of the 1%

Quote:
I believe the 1% know that to protect their wealth and power next time will require radical political dismantling of what is left of our democracy.

We here are constantly highlighting relatively minor examples of that very behaviour and are aware of the implications of that word.

It's worth reading, especially as you contextualise and associate points in the 'outline' section with events in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: