PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TTIP including TTP, CETA & TiSA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
I'd rather trust Ming thn Cameron, Osbourne, Duncan-Smith or many of the other truth manglers.

Absolutely.

I'm trying to get him over here to talk about TTIP and related 'deals', to keep the pot boiling with local bodies.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos in this article are quite funny:

https://www.rt.com/news/344877-us-eu-ttip-emails/
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian reports that a Corbin government would veto TTIP.

Unfortunately the level of interest in the post has crashed the server.

Over 2000 comments already

Quote:
A few weeks ago the French President, Francois Hollande, said he would veto the deal as it stands and to become law any deal would have to be ratified by each member state. So today we give this pledge, as it stands, we too would reject TTIP and veto it in government.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbyn's anti TTIP speech:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-promises-to-kill-ttip-will-work-in-parliament-to-stop-trade-deal-a7060896.html
oobers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/11/leaked-ttip-energy-proposal-could-sabotage-eu-climate-policy

Is the French veto of TTIP of any consequence? If TTIP does go forward and this is part of the plan, we are surely better off out of the EU.

I know some green remainers argued we were better in so we could veto TTIP but that appears to be of little use. And would a tory government have vetoed this plan? Probably not. There is too much tories would like in these proposals - unlimited access to US shale gas for a start. Others argue that tories will now form a TTIP on steroids bilateral trade agreement with US and do worse, but at least out of the EU, a subsequent progressive government could reverse that.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said elsewhere we need to see what the new government cabinet looks like to see which direction Mrs May will be taking us. My MP has told me that he wouldn't support any treaty with ISDS in it but he has a record of 100% support for the government. I'll have to ask him if he would actually vote against the government if ISDS were included in the treaty.

There is also the possibility that if ISDS is excluded it could be bought in via the back door at a later date. This is typical of the EU Commission's way of working to get what it wants. It could happen here as well.

I think it was the TISA agreement which was to be bought in three months before we were told that it had been ratified and before we knew what the new law was!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTIP is not really dead; like Philip Morris, it's always going to come back under another name. Battling these so-called 'agreements' is a life-long war for ordinary people.

Quote:
We have to succeed every time, they have to succeed only once.

From here.

Biff or one of the moderators: is it an idea to edit the title of the thread to something such as:

CETA/TiSA (was TTIP)
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
TTIP is not really dead; like Philip Morris, it's always going to come back under another name. Battling these so-called 'agreements' is a life-long war for ordinary people.

Quote:
We have to succeed every time, they have to succeed only once.

From here.

Biff or one of the moderators: is it an idea to edit the title of the thread to something such as:

CETA/TiSA (was TTIP)
Thanks for this info E. I have been taking my eye off the ball with this and need to get back up to speed.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the name to include all that is going on in this arena. Hope that is OK.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama still hoping to f**k the world and get the credit.[/url]
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically pro free trade article in the Economist about the Germans not wanting free trade and protesting against TTIP which completely misses the reason why they are protesting.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CETA Without Blinders: How Cutting ‘Trade Costs and More’ Will Cause Unemployment, Inequality and Welfare Losses

Quote:
CETA will cause unemployment, inequality, welfare losses and a reduction of intra-EU trade.

johnhemming2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is/was good about the EU as a trade agreement was/is that it clearly takes environmental issues and working conditions into account.

I don't necessarily agree with what has been written about CETA, but these sorts of agreements tend to concentrate on trade.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
... but these sorts of agreements tend to concentrate on trade.

They concentrate our politicians minds on trade to the exclusion of all the disbenefits of globalisation.

I've written to my MP, a big property portfolio owner, on the impossibility of globalising wages without globalising property prices without propelling us into a revolution in the process and only got a reply from his PA. He's a great fan of agreements like TTIP and CETA, although he claims to be onside with CC and GW, so I hope he will that paper on the disbenefits.

Nicholas Stern in his book, Why Are We Waiting, pulls apart how conventional economic models treat CC and GW as they all treat the future as a linear progression of the past ignoring the catastrophes which will occur such as sea level rise and agricultural failures and the concomitant mass population movements. The modelling of these trade agreements makes similar ommissions in order to boost BAU.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
a linear progression of the past

The problem is that much of public debate is based upon this assumption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: