PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most suitable tool for cutting small firewood
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Most suitable tool for cutting small firewood Reply with quote

I have a large qaunity of wood to cut up for Mothers stove.
Not logs but waste wood from demolition, construction off cuts, and small branches from tree pruning.

Size varies from as small as 20mm for kindling, up to about 150mm.

Recomendations please as to the most suitable tool for the job, preferably cordless.
An electric jigsaw seems very tedious
A chainsaw seems OTT and they make me nervous, though I did wonder about a cheap small cordless chainsaw.

Most of the wood contains nails, and whilst I would try to avoid them, some are no doubt hidden.

I am not worried about reliance on electricity as the intention is to cut a large supply of wood and store it, not to cut it as needed.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2, a small bandsaw might be a consideration. It has the great advantage of you working without bending.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find that with the nails it is more trouble then it is worth. I don't know of anything cordless that would do the job but the stuff under 100mm can be done with a band saw, table saw or a skill saw with the wood held on a saw horse or saw buck. Watch your fingers!
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to find anything better than a 21 inch bowsaw. Wood with nails can be a pain. Small stuff in awkward shapes is a bigger pain, as it is very time consuming to restrain safely before cutting. I use a B&W work bench I bought 20 years ago. I sometimes use a welding gauntlet to protect my left hand. I have a pile of shredded left hand gauntlets, that sacrificed themselves to save my hand. I really aught to learn to be more careful...
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I was thinking of getting a Timber Croc - a great way to work on logs or pallets at waist height. Anything which saves your back is worth nearly as much as something that saves your fingers!

And here's a couple of excellent tips when removing nails from pallet wood.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem.

emordnilap wrote:
adam2, a small bandsaw might be a consideration. It has the great advantage of you working without bending.

But that uses electricity!
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:

And here's a couple of excellent tips when removing nails from pallet wood.

Very useful. Smile
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
I have exactly the same problem.

emordnilap wrote:

But that uses electricity!

Yee-e-es...but rather a good EROEI in this specific case (particularly considering the protection of the back; you're young yet UE Wink), particularly if you generate your own electricity or have it supplied by a renewables supplier. Electricity is phenomenal so long as it does not add to climate change.

A foot/bicycle/hamster-powered bandsaw anyone?
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Most suitable tool for cutting small firewood Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
I have a large qaunity of wood to cut up for Mothers stove.
Not logs but waste wood from demolition, construction off cuts, and small branches from tree pruning.

Size varies from as small as 20mm for kindling, up to about 150mm.

Recomendations please as to the most suitable tool for the job, preferably cordless.
An electric jigsaw seems very tedious
A chainsaw seems OTT and they make me nervous, though I did wonder about a cheap small cordless chainsaw.

Most of the wood contains nails, and whilst I would try to avoid them, some are no doubt hidden.

I am not worried about reliance on electricity as the intention is to cut a large supply of wood and store it, not to cut it as needed.
An electric chainsaw with cheap disposable chains all mounted on a saw horse especially designed to hold a chainsaw on a swinging arm at one end. It's the set-up I use to cut up all of my old fence posts and trees I have felled for customers. I then sell all of this scrap wood onto customers in the winter as firewood. You'll probably get through one chain every 100 bags of wood or so if you hit the occasional nail. If you manage to avoid nails or there aren't any in the wood, each chain will last a lot longer. If you invest in a chain sharpening jig, it will easily repay itself over time in lowered consumption of chains.

An electric chainsaw can be had for 47.50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-CHAINSAW-NEW-12-MTH-WARRANTY-ct219-/161191366369?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2587c10ee1

A chain-saw saw-horse can be had for 59.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Chainsaw-Log-Saw-Horse-With-Holder-For-Sawing-/310811475022?pt=UK_Chainsaw_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485dcebc4e

A chain sharpening tool can be had for 24.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener-Saw-Sharpening-Machine-Tool-240v-3-Pin-Plug-/221259133356?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item33841271ac

Obviously, if you buy all of the above second-hand off Ebay, you can cut the price of everything dramatically.

In terms of consumables:

Chainsaw chains can be had from a tenner onwards

You need oil for the chainsaw lubrication chamber. But don't buy the proprietary stuff cos the price is a piss-take. Instead, mix some veg oil and diesel together. Works just as well.

The main potential problem with the above is if you are wanting or needing to do the work away from the mains electricity supply. In my case, it's not a problem as I have a 2.8kwh portable generator which I use for lots of other jobs as well. If you had to buy a cheap Chinese generator of this size, it would set you back anywhere from 150 to 200 quid. In which case, if you can't justify the generator for anything other than this one job, then you may as well spend that kind of money on a decent second hand petrol chainsaw. Though, I should say, my preference is to always go for electric power tools where available as they are more reliable and so require far less maintenance and are a lot cheaper to replace when they finally die. That's why I have a generator because most of my power tools are electric, though not all of them.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21" bowsaw and saw horse here. Loppers for really twiggy bits.

Keeps me fit, warms me up and quickly provides wood. If there are nails, they don't end up getting catapulted 'round the place or shredding anything: I can feel them before there's any damage done.
Tarrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends to some extent on the distribution of the thicknesses. If you've got a lot of circa 6 inch stuff then a chainsaw will be worthwhile. The best and cheapest route in would be a corded electric one.

For the thinner stuff I'd go for hand tools; a bowsaw or even a folding pruning saw such as the Bahco Laplander. Light, dead sharp and zips through 3 inch branches with almost no effort. Loppers for the twiggy bits, up to 25 mm.

If going the chainsaw route, I agree with SC about a sawhorse with a swingarm for the chainsaw.

Put a tarpaulin down to catch the sawdust (there will be loads). Put this into empty loo rolls and plug each end with newspaper. Makes great kindling., and quicker to make than they sound!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
.......... Put this into empty loo rolls and plug each end with newspaper. ........

What would I plant my larger seeds into if I did that?
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimps, faggots and benders. Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFatvC4BDE
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the "disclaimer" at the end Smile
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
21" bowsaw and saw horse here. Loppers for really twiggy bits.

Yesterday I used our 'Truncator' saw horse in anger for the first time, having only done a couple of test runs with it previously to make a video review (which I did in return for getting a discount on it). I reckon it saved me 60-90mins work compared to our previous method of processing logs at the wood, loading them into the trailer and then transferring them to the store at home. The saving was because I brought 2m long logs back from the wood, and after sawing they drop off the Truncator straight into a wheelbarrow - so less bending too.

Here's a pic of it in action:

and if you'd like to watch the (part-paid) video review I made it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khv_0l5o6yg

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: