PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AGR, Hanwha to develop Stowbridge solar power plant in UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephendavion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: AGR, Hanwha to develop Stowbridge solar power plant in UK Reply with quote

Quote:

AGRenewables and Hanwha Q CELLS have collaborated to develop the 24.3MW Stowbridge ground-mounted solar power plant in Cambridgeshire, the UK.

As part of the collaboration agreement, AGR will lead the project development, while Hanwha Q CELLS will supply 'German-made' PV modules and will be responsible for engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) of the plant.

According to the article this plant will be operational form March 2014. That means just in three months of time plant will be commissined. What is the fantastic thing with this solar power is they help us reducing CO2 emissions. This new power plant will urb around 9,650 tons of CO2 emissions annually

Source: http://solar.energy...........................................solar-power-plant-in-uk-120214-4176329[/url]
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so in 2 minds about these field-mounted solar PVs...yes, it's Solar, and therefore it is Shiny and it is Useful, but, I mean, you can grow a lot of food in a field in Cambridgeshire. I can do without electricity a damnsight better than I can do without food.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a field near me that, thanks to Ecotricity, is covered with solar panels. It used to be covered with rape grown for biodiesel or animal feed, now it produces electricity. The nice people at Ecotricity also sowed wildflowers in the gaps so it is now a nature reserve. A bird survey found many more birds on the site than on a control plot, the neighbouring monoculture arable field. Surprise, surprise.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yes, but, you still could have grown food on it.

I suppose it's horses-for-courses: some places might make better PV plus wildflower parks because the soil's thin, or they're difficult to irrigate.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more land for food then take it from golf courses or grouse moors. Solar and food is not an either/or.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh deffo golf courses. Presupposing I haven't already commanded that they be set aside as sacrificial flood-plains Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: